Temperature monitoring

I'm seeking to buy or build several temperature monitoring devices. I don't want intelligence, just reporting. All I want to do is to collect the information and record it.

I can buy an "atomic clock" with a remote temperature sensor for about $20. Most of that cost is for the clock, not the sensor. But when I look for a similar device that can send data to a computer, prices quickly go (way!) above $100. Either this is a missed market opportunity or I'm just not looking in the right place.

I'd like the remote sensor to transmit its data either wirelessly, via X10-like power line signaling, or over a simple three-wire phone cord. Its reports should be periodic, say every five minutes, or on command. The report should be the ambient temperature to a half-degree C and the id of the sensor.

I have found some devices that can be programmed to take some action when the ambient temperature falls outside some boundary. I don't want any action taken except to report the temperature, not just when its low or high but all the time.

What have I missed?

Reply to
Dave Close
Loading thread data ...

The RFXSensor together with an RFXCOM USB receiver does exact what you want. The 433.92MHz version of the RFXCOM receiver is also able to receive Oregon Scientific weather sensors and the RFXPower. The RFXPower is a device to measure the whole house power usage. See

formatting link

US people can also use the W800 receiver but have to select the 310MHz version of the RFXSensor then. The W800 can't receive Oregon Scientific sensors nor the RFXPower.

Bert

Reply to
b_weijenberg

How many sensors? You have apparently have a

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

. . .

There is a common misconception people have that anything that they want and cannot find readily is a "missed opportunity". What they are missing most of the time is that there isn't a large enough market for the item at the price that they want, to make it an opportunity.

There is a lot of demand for indoor outdoor thermometers, with or without clocks which add very little to the cost) but not for the additional expense of adding output circuits which almost no one would use.

However, if you are willing to do some work on your own, there may be some hobbiest level items that do what you want.

Check out Peter Anderson's projects at

formatting link
formatting link
is a multiple sensor to RS-232 module for $40 He designs his modules for students to use in his electrical engineering courses.

If you want something polished with fancy software, there are a lot of industrial systems with industrial quality, service, AND prices.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.