Emergency Water Turn-Off?

Sure stuff comes blind. That's what started this project.

How can you leave a note for them if you don't know the package is coming nor what method it is coming by and if you're out of town? If the four or five major carriers all alerted me when they had incoming packages, that would eliminate the problem, but they don't.

Well, bitch at FedEx someday and you might find that you, the lowly little package RECIPIENT is NOT their client. You have basically no rights of recovery of fees or much else because the SENDER paid them the money to ship. I went up the food chain to a VP at FedEx. They are doing much better now and I suppose they'll continue to do a good job until there's a new driver on my route.

But the bottom line is that I don't just want HA to turn lights on and off. I want a truly *smart* home. Part of that rudimentary intelligence should include the ability to relay to me who is at my front door (or side door or garage) or whether there are any packages sitting in puddles, visible from the street or in a package box, should I choose to go that route. The technology "bricks" are all there. I just have to figure out how to mortar them together into a reliable structure. Considering that this will also be an integral part of a remote security system, I think it's time well-spent.

Lots of folks here have designed annunciator systems with various special requirements. I don't think you were here in CHA when the gentlemen with the image recognition cat door presented his work but it was a fascinating look at how powerful PC's had become. Overkill? Sure. But people DO this sort of stuff because they enjoy the challenge. Some people build ships in bottles. If they enjoy doing it, and they derive some measure of satisfaction from it, then who's to say it's a waste of effort, "surpreme" or otherwise?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

FedEx (and UPS) have a method to "file a signature" with them, so they'll leave the package if no one is home...

Also, if I know I'm due a package, I'll leave a note at the door, and give instructions where to hide or deliver the box if no one is home. It's worked for years with me.

Worst case I ever had was when I'd gotten a "could not deliver" slip, and when I went to the "main desk" to pick it up, they couldn't, because it was on a truck for "re-delivery". You guessed it, when I got home there was another "we tried to deliver.." message, and it's timestamp was during the time I was at the "main desk"..... That's when I started leaving the note....

contractors.

Reply to
AZ Woody

As I said in another post, most carriers have a "we got your signature on file" form, so they'll leave the package. If you're often gone, you can also say "leave it at ..." which could be the guy next door. I've also said "open the gate to the left of the garage and leave it behind the trash cans"

The only problem I've had was with USPS (we have a "common group mailbox" in the area, so they don't stop at a given house), and if the box wouldn't fit in the "package mailbox" (special key), I'd have to go to the post office to get it...

Reply to
AZ Woody

Where it could (and sometimes does) linger for a week unprotected from the elements with me unaware that it's sitting there.

That's the point here. What happens when you don't know a package is inbound?

Yes, but the problem I face is backorders with unknown ship dates and lack of proper notification from the shipper.

Yeah, I've played the "Chase the FedEx truck" game before, and it's what I am hoping to avoid. The overall concept is this: To help, in any way possible, all delivery people to make a successful delivery on the FIRST visit. That gets to be a pretty hairy goal if you are NOT aware that there's an incoming package and you're often away from the house for days at a time. I'm hoping to set something up that can ring my cellphone and perhaps even send a picture of the front porch when there's any probable package activity at the door.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

FWIW, I saw a device on "Ask this Old House" that connected between the washing machine (or dishwasher) and the supply. To run the appliances, you press a button on the box and it holds the supply line valves open for two hours.

At least with this device, the only time the dishwasher or washing machine can leak is the two hour span during which the unit keeps the supply valves open. I think it cost less that $100 and might be the ideal solution to those who fear a ruptured feed hose or a defective dishwasher door.

As an aside, they have a "What Is It" section where they try to figure out what weird looking devices do. This week it was a little can with a filtered top, a wireless aerial and a little seesaw inside. I'm proud to say it's one of the few interesting doodads I recognized right away: An Oregon Sci. self-tipping wireless rain gauge!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

There is also the Watts Industries washing machine valve, A2C-M1 - IntelliFlow Automatic Washing Machine Water Shutoff Valves with Leak Sensor also about $100 which is fully automatic. I have one on my washer and it's bullet-proof. The washer plugs into the valve which senses the current flow when the washer is turned on. It then opens the valves untill the washer shuts off. Fully automatic and user transparent. There is also a plug in leak detector that sits under the washer that will shut off the valves in the even of a washer leak. See it at

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

Yep. It's probably easier to use than the timer but without the water leak sensor, it's still possible for a dishwasher to run wild while you're in Barbados. As long as it's calling for current, it's calling for water.

What happens if a hose bursts and the washing machine stays on with the solenoid valves stuck open, waiting for the tank to fill and trip a float valve? I think the motorized control cycle dial still turns, but it's also entirely possible it will wait forever for the float to rise while the basement floods. I'll have to run a test someday to see.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I suppose you could defeat it by unplugging the leak sensor as you suggest but I'm not sure why one would spend the money for the unit only to disconnect the sensor. I have two other things in place though just to do a "belt & suspenders" level of protection: stainless steel braided hoses on the washer and all toilets with copper pipe to the icemaker and dishwasher PLUS, a Watercop on the main line into the house with sensors at the icemaker, dishwasher and washing machine. The washer one is redundant but the Watercop came with 3 sensors. We travel a lot and I like knowing that there's protection. Years ago an icemaker line broke in the middle of the night and flooded the kitchen. Fortunately, it was a pinhole leak and we woke up before too much damage was done. I hate to think what would have happened had we been gone for several weeks! BTW, the Watercop also has an output to a relay on my Stargate so I get a phone call and an email if the sensors have triggered it.

Reply to
BruceR

"BruceR" wrote

I was trying to determine which one is inherently safer. Watching the "This Old House" crew pull a washer/dryer combo out of a Beacon Hill rowhouse closet made me wince. I'll bet if they weren't careful, they could rip out any floor water sensor wires. I think I'd still prefer the timer unit because it's hard to imagine too many scenarios where that wouldn't limit damage more than a current-following control.

If I had a duplex unit like the one I saw on the program I would turn the closet into a stall shower with waterproof walls and a floor drain. I've built a lot of darkrooms in my life and there's only one way to be sure the spills are contained - the old Sov nuke boat double hull.

There are plenty of homes where even a 15 minute hose rupture can do a f_ck of a lot of damage. We need smart water. When it enters the house, each molecule is programmed to only flow to approved areas.

Seriously, though. You've done just about all you can do to prevent accidentally water leaks but a ruptured washing machine hose could still get in a few good licks before your system caught it, right?

Whoa, dude, that *is* about ALL the protection you can buy! That's a level of preparedness that can only be explained by previous bad experience.

:-) I knew it!

I had a blown washing machine hose (now I use braided hoses) and woke up to what sounded like a racehorse pissing on steel shed. It broke in a starburst pattern with water spewing in every direction at once. That's when I got religion about water leaks. Fortunately it was in an unfinished basement, so I didn't get very much religion. But I'm working on it.

Too cool! I thought you were an Omni user. Can't that do the same thing?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No, I'm a Stargate guy although I've been through Omni training and it can do that too. I'm not really too worried about washer hose breaks now since there's no pressure on them that could really cause a rupture. When the washer is off the valve is closed and when it's on the water is flowing (and we're home). I suppose a valve failure in the washer could cause a problem if the sensor were damaged but we'd be home when that happened. There is one thing that I didn't put in that I do have in my other house - a pan for the washer to sit in. The pan I have is galvanized sheet metal with a drain pipe so that any machine leakage would stay in the pan and drain out. Home Depot also sells a molded plastic version complete with drain fittings.

Reply to
BruceR

There is an article in this months issue of Family Handyman magazine. It shows an automatic water shutoff. I didn't buy the issue myself, but you may want to go to a newsstand and check it out.

Reply to
bargaindealsman

If you know you're going to be away for a week then just turn off the supply. That and get a second valve and/or meter for exterior irrigation. Then you can just kill water to the interior and eliminate the worry.

Anything's possible but at some point the costs of preventing it greatly exceed the potential risk. Insurance and proper drainage in the washer area are often good enough.

That said, a current sensing valve does seem like a very good idea. One that supported an external moisture sensor would be perfect. That way even if current was being pulled it'd refuse to work if water got to the sensor.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.