Hot Water Lobster (Hot water circulation system)

Hi, Does anyone try out this product, The Hot Water Lobster? It doesn't need the extra power which is good for my situation. Here is their website

formatting link
Sam

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

This may be a useful device but it will not save on the cost of heating water. In fact, keeping the water in the pipe between the H2O heater and the faucet heated will add to your energy usage. The water in the pipe is constantly losing energy due to radiant cooling. To make up for this the water heater must run more.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

they say it works by convection. Lets see if the water heater is higher than the faucets, like my home. That would pose a problem.

Reply to
SQLit

It sounds kind of hokey to me. How does convection allow the hot water to move back down the cold water pipes? They are both under pressure, you won't get the cold water to flow backwards without something pushing it. If the convection is from the heater itself, it would take hours if not days, for the heat to rise to the valve. Replace this with a pump and you have something:

formatting link
(Not affiliated. I have a Grundfos pump with a hot water return line, a tankless heater, and a timer)

Brad Houser

Reply to
Brad Houser

Then you will have to wait for that cold drink you desire instead of the hot water. Plus, your water heating bill will increase as you heat the house with your water. And your air conditioning bill will increase also.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

" Your existing hot water tank now uses less energy reheating 80 degree F water instead of cold ground temperature water. "

Under the same conditions, the tank is normally reheating ~105 degree water.

At $188, I could double-insulate my hot water tank and pipes, get the same effect with none of the drawbacks, (such as being scammed) and still save $100.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Last time this subject came up in this ng, the general consensus was that the Metlund system

formatting link
was superior to the chilipepper. It is supposedly quieter and has more options (such as installation near the water heater instead of under the sink).

Reply to
Mark Thomas

It's the same concept a the chillipepper but considerably more expensive. Quiter is insignificant, it runs for seconds, who cares? I can't see how the thing would work if it was near the tank, I misssed that at the site, who cares again anyways... I wouldn't pay more for this one, I'm going for the chilipepper myself.

Reply to
mikey

Reply to
Art Todesco

Only if you automate it. If you don't fire the thing up with the pushbutton, there's no reason the water would be any less cold than without it. Besides, I keep my cold drinks in the fridge :-)

Take a pipe from the end

Reply to
mikey

I have had a hot water return pipe from both the farthest bathroom and kitchen. I added a ball valve to control the amount of water to loop back to the heater.

Works great. Hot water instantly.

The water heater IS in the basement about 1/2 way between the two runs.

I tried the Chillipepper but it took time to circulate and was noisy. Wasn't automatic. The return pipes are silent and always hot.

Reply to
Don

I use the Metlund system here in my house - GREAT! I installed motion sensors in the bathrooms and the water is always hot!

Reply to
Bob

In most cases the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve requires less energy to heat water in your house. Important: instead of replacing the hot water in your hot water tank with ground temperature water (which has to be heated from a low temperature), the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve allows the cooled hot water at about 80-85 degrees to circulate back to your hot water tank for reheating, which not only saves the cost of the water, water treatment charges (sewer charges), it also takes less energy to bring the warmer water (being re-circulated) up to temperature.

The Hot Water Lobster is a do-it-yourself solution that saves not only water but also money. Since the thermal convection (the rising of hat water and sinking of cooler water) takes place within the hot water tank, it works with with hot water tanks below the valve, on the same level as the valve as well as hot water tanks on levels above the valve, vertical runs over 5-stories and linear runs over 200 ft.

The Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve is intended to create a closed loop within your hot water system. Any facets or showers along your hot waterlines (between your tank and the valve) will have faster hot water.

The thermal convection (warm water rising and cool water sinking), which takes place within your existing hot water tank, and the normal use of cold water create a higher water pressure on the hot water side of your plumbing system. This pressure differential circulates the warm water through your plumbing system. When the hot water cools at the Hot Water Lobster Valve, the valve slowly opens allowing the cooler water to cross through the valve to the cold-water side of the plumbing. The thermal convection (within the hot water tank) draws the cooler water (from the cold water pipes) to the bottom of the hot water tank, while it forces the hotter water (from the hot water tank) into the hot water pipes. When the hot water reaches the valve, the valve slowly closes and stops the crossover flow of water. The cycle repeats when the valve cools below the adjustable temperature setting.

The Hot Water Lobster > Hi,

Reply to
valaprise

Reply to
Hooper

Hmm. This thread died nearly 2 years ago. The seller "responds" as though it's a current thread. I don't want to call it spam, but...

Reply to
Robert L Bass

it's a current thread. I don't want to call it spam,

Maybe it's just 'helpful' advice for DIY'ers... You know anyone that posts similar SPAM? How about a SPAMMER that gives away passwords to protected areas of manufacturer's websites?

Reply to
G. Morgan

------------------------------------- My husband installed a Hot Water Lobster device in our house...WE LOVE IT!

Reply to
Stacy & Bill

Stacy & Bill had written this in response to

formatting link
:

My husband installed a Hot Water Lobster device in our house...WE LOVE IT!

Reply to
Stacy & Bill

You naysayers need to take a science class! Thermal convection of air and water is simple physics and has been effective since the beginning of time. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way!

Reply to
lukedeplumber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.