Emergency Call System

I have several elderly customers needing an emergency call system for home use. I have used the ITI model with two way voice. What are you guys using? I like the ability to have a motion detector watch for activity so a supervisory signal can be sent if they are not up and moving around. Not sure that I like two way voice. Our homes are big here and short of putting microphones/speakers in multiple areas, cs is not likely to be able to hear the users, not to mention that these elderly users may not be able to hear the central station.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter
Loading thread data ...

I've never heard of that ability. It can be done, sure, with lots of customization with "and/or" logic relay--- but off the shelf, no.

Two way voice is what I've used in those conditions, with Honeywell stuff.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

Hi Allen.

Try this one.

formatting link

Model # AE107

Reply to
Jim

It can be done, sure, with lots of

Check out the unit I recommended. There's more than one mfg out there that's got the inactivity signal. They don't advertise it much, I've noticed, but even the units you see advertised on TV usually have it as an added option. For more money per month .... of course.

Reply to
Jim

That does not do what he wants, at all. He wants " ability to have a motion detector watch for activity so a supervisory signal can be sent if they are not up and moving around."

The only way I see to do that is with a PLC or perhaps the ELK-G.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

See my reply... The unit in question will respond to inactivity by motion detection input, like an integrated access control system turning off the lights. Instead the fictional unit will cause alarm when no motion activity is present for X time.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

I saw an article on one of the established alarm manufacturers recently where they are making (or are soon to release, don't recall for certain) a system that can not only detect lack of movement but can "learn" an elderly person's habits such as when they open the medicine cabinet, how long they normally sleep, etc. The system will report to the CS whenever there's a significant change.

Sensors can be placed on the fridge door and food cupboard doors. No signal for a few hours? They aren't eating or may have taken a fall. It might have been in one of the trade rags like SDM or SS&M.

I talked to an ELK Products engineer about this sort of application using the ELK EZ8 a while back. He felt the system could handle it with some creative configuration and programming. I haven't tried it out yet but it might be worth your while to discuss it with them. ELK is more expensive than most of the dedicated elder-care systems but it's also able to do far more. You may be able to sell a comprehensive burg, fire and elder care package for upscale clients.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

We use a lot of 2-way voice and you'd be suprised at the volume of the speakers in various systems although you might want to wait until Visonic introduces the Amber, it may have the voice capabilities you desire.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I have used the ITI model with two way voice.

for activity so a supervisory signal can be sent if

homes are big here and short of putting

users, not to mention that these elderly users may

BTW Allan, there has been a "lack of activity" function available on at least one popular security panel line for quite a few years. The system counts the number of hours a given zone (motion detector, cupboard door, whatever) has not been violated during a disarmed period. If there's no activity the zone can trigger an output or signal.

The design purpose of this "watchdog" feature is to warn of a failed sensor. However, with a little creative thought you could use it for elder care.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

one popular security panel line for quite a few years.

Is that a trade secret bunghole? What the hell are you talking about.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

The function is called "Sensor Watch." It's a Napco feature. Here's a brief description:

"Sensor Watch Time: Interval for Sensor Watch Activity failure."

"The Sensor Watch value should be selected according to the anticipated activity within the coverage area while disarmed. In calculating the Sensor Watch time, it should be noted that only the disarmed hours (the time between armed periods) are added. In moderate traffic areas, a Sensor Watch time of perhaps 24 hours may be appropriate, whereas in remote areas, a time of 48 hours or more may be in order. Sensor Watch time should be calculated for the Sensor Watch Zone with the least amount of traffic."

Basically, you select which zones will employ sensor watch in the "By Zone Features" screen. Then in the "Time Selection" tab of the "System Assignment" window you select the number of hours.

You can trigger one or more relays upon Sensor Watch timeout. These can trip a zone for CS alert, turn on a light, activate a voice pager dialer or whatever else you like.

This isn't flexible enough for a dedicated elder care system but it could be employed as an ancillary function on a burg system. However, as I mentioned earlier you could get the ELK system to do it with lots more options and greater flexibility.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

GE got that with the careguard, check this out.

formatting link

Reply to
spike

if you are using an alias and changing it you better stop because rlb DOES NOT like that. :)

Reply to
spike

Heh, heh, heh.. :^)

Not true, BTW. I couldn't care less. It's just Cracker trying to appear to be several people -- like Olson and his many aliases.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't know if they have instructions for the unit on their website, for you to look at, but I can assure you that the unit has an inactivity function. You just have to purchase the seperate motion detector and designate it in the programing as the inactivity device. I tested the unit for a number of months at my office by covering the PIR for a day or two to see if it would detect the inactivity. It worked fine. You could always call them and ask, if you need further assurances.

Reply to
Jim

I just checked their website. Try this link. See page two of the PDF file.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

Allan, I'm assuming you are referring to the GE Careguard when you say "ITI". If not, try it out. Will do 2-way voice, Central Station in Phone #1, Backup on Phone 22 OR Voice to a remote telephone or cell on Phone 2 and 3 with No Central Station:also two-way.Has Inactivity Monitoring as well as Medication Reminder Feature. Able to integrate a W/L Keypad to do some Security as well as environmentals- Freeze, H20, etc. You can add a "repeater" but I.m not sure whether that refers to wireless or for extending the 2-way. Mike S

Allan Waghalter wrote:

Reply to
secure15

Gotcha. It's actually on page 3.. "Inactivity Monitor"..

So there is an input on this device that by default accepts status from one motion detector for it's logic. I wonder if this can be improved upon by integrating a burglar alarm sending status changes, like a follower of the "ready" light to improve the logic capability? It would be trivial to set up a relay to follow the "ready" status, and you could even initiate a shunt when the system is armed by using a timer to trick the input circuit of the ae107 by providing a momentary open/close when the system is armed (target is sleeping). Of course I'd still want the be operational if the target has the system armed and is not sleeping- perhaps some user input like a button press every so often could let the unit know she's still kickin' with on override option.

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

y on page 3.. =A0"Inactivity Monitor"..

I believe the unit has other secruity related options but I'd just as soon let it be used for what it was intended for. In the installations I did, this was added to the existing alarm system install mainly for the inactivity feature.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah but...

REO Speedwagon.

formatting link

Reply to
Carnival Midway Hawker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.