Digital Phone Distribution

I have Time/Warner digital phone service for one telephone line.

I'd like to go from the phone modem to my patch panel and distribute the line to multiple rooms.

I had this up and running for a while, no problems.

Recently, I started losing my dialtone. I had a service rep out a couple of times, replaced the modem and had several "debug" discussions on the phone with Time/Warner.

The net of all this is "Time/Warner doesn't support..." my configuration.

I assume there needs to be some boosting of the signal from the modem in order to travel all those extra miles of CAT-5 ;-)

Any ideas how I can do this and make it reliable?

Thanks,

mitch

Reply to
Mitch P.
Loading thread data ...

So their argument is that they offer "home phone service", attempting to compete with traditional analog telephone, but only to ONE HANDSET?

I didn't bother to wire this house for telephone. I use Uniden cordless units with chargers sprinkled around the house and a single base station. Even if you only did this for half of your phones, you might reduce the load on the modem.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

In article , sumcoolgai[nospam]@yahoo.com (Mitch P.) writes: | I have Time/Warner digital phone service for one telephone line. | | I'd like to go from the phone modem to my patch panel and distribute the | line to multiple rooms. | | I had this up and running for a while, no problems. | | Recently, I started losing my dialtone. I had a service rep out a couple | of times, replaced the modem and had several "debug" discussions on the | phone with Time/Warner. | | The net of all this is "Time/Warner doesn't support..." my configuration. | | I assume there needs to be some boosting of the signal from the modem in | order to travel all those extra miles of CAT-5 ;-) | | Any ideas how I can do this and make it reliable?

You might try a long loop adapter which boosts the loop and ring voltages. This one seems to always be on sale:

formatting link
There are similar products that boost only the loop voltage or only the ring voltage. They generally cost less. Example:

formatting link
Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.