RoadRunner Runaround??

Yes, according to the top FAQ posted here:

formatting link
?qIsIE=false&rrhd=xx That SUCKS though. There must be a reason behind it. Such as, I wonder if these roadrunner modems have been mucked with or something? Otherwise, there should be NO reason why you can't use your own cable modem.

Unfortunately, I'll be moving into TWC area soon. I had hoped to use their service with my Linksys BEFCMU10 (v3) cable modem. Looks like I'll have to go back to DSL. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.
Loading thread data ...

They don't need to give a reason.

Why is it unfortunate? According to you, DSL is a step up from cable.

Reply to
Bill M.

I am moving from an area where I have Comcast iInternet to an area serviced by Time Warner. I have a Motorola SB4100 cable modem.

When I called for my Roadrunner hookup the service rep said I had to use their modem because mine would not work.

Is this true?

Lenster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You know you've been on the computer too long when... You start double clicking the TV remote!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

Reply to
Lenster

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, Lenster on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:27:21 GMT spoke:

No, but there's no advantage to using your own modem, as RR doesn't give you any discount for it.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

I have a question, why would you pay their total rip off price for Digital Voice?

Unlimited Vonage is $25, and unlimited Packet8 is $20. What do you get with Digital Voice that makes it so much more expensive?

(And for those that don't know, the $39.99 price is the DISCOUNTED price when you also subscribe to both cable and internet service).

Reply to
Crackhead

It IS a step up from cable, if you are looking for reliable, high-speed Internet service. HOWEVER, to use DSL, you need a land line telephone. I ditched the land line years ago, and was really glad to get rid of it. I don't like the thought that any more of my money is going to be thrown at a (land line) phone company. I guess there is always dbs based nternet. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

I'd gladly let RR install their own equipment. I am VERY SUSPICIOUS of the reason that they REQUIRE this, though. Cable modems are pretty universal. All other cable modem providers sell startup kits in places like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. Most major electronics retailers also stock cable modems NOT packaged with a specific service, for computer users who need less handholding like proprietary setup instructions, software, etc. Of course all cable modem service providers will be more than happy to RENT you a cable modem, if you want to rent one from the cable company. But there is absolutely no reason to BAN cable modems that are NOT rented from the cable company, unless there is something "different" about the RR service cable modems. So what is that difference? Could it have anything to do with reports posted earlier that cable modem manufacturers were implementing options that allow cable companies to remotely snoop on devices connected to your LAN? Hmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, the OP was told his Motorola cable modem would NOT work. That's BS. I guarantee you it would work, if RR would provision it, but RR refused to.

And we have used cell phones exclusively for a couple years now. I wouldn't go back to a land line phone, regardless of how cheap it was. For us, it would be an unnecessary added expense, as it would never be used. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

First off, let me say you'll be very happy with RR service. I've found it to be rock-solid reliable and work as close to advertised as anything I've ever purchased -- service or product.

Secondly, you don't HAVE to use their modem -- I'm pretty sure they will provision another brand of equipment. But as the other person pointed out, there's no price discount for bringing your own equipment to them. So rather than being on the hook for spending more money or replacing something yourself when it breaks, just let them take care of it.

FWIW, if Digital Voice is in your area, I strongly urge you to go with it. I've had it for over a month and have been very happy with it. The one disadvantage compared to traditional VOIP providers is they only offer one package -- a $39.99 all-you-can-eat local and long distance, with all calling features free. So if you don't have any use for long distance, it may not be the best deal for you. But if you have friends or family out of town, it's a great deal.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.