Zone Alarm Security Suite 6 problems...and questions

I have just 9installed ZASS6 and am having some problems, also have a question or two.,......or threee... :>) I am running XPPro sp2

1. In OUTLOOK(2000), how can I get rid of that splash screen that opens every time outlook opens?

1. How do i configure ZASS to work with a RR reader...specifically NEWSREADER..I have all the prmissions set to allow, and ye4t, the program cannot refresh, and when selecting an article to read in any of the feeds, it will not open the article.

2. It seems to cause system hangs, OUTLOOk hangs, IE hangs..you name it....

I am not nuts about Norton, which was on the computer, but at least things worked and I didn;t have to restart the computer by pushing the button every hour or so when app hangs.

1. I can log into the forums, but no page will open...i cannot reply, i cannot configure, i cannot access macros,icons,etc etc. Every single link gives me and "ERROR ON PAGE" notification. In the entire Zone LAbs site, including the forum pages, the only links that work are to the products, and buying them...also, I can link to the contact zonelabs page. Which is convenient of course since I can hardly do anything else.lol.....

1. When an alert come on about a program and the little blue words are there..View MOre Info or something like that, if I make the mistake of clicking on it, everything hangs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I have done all I could think of and am very close to uninstalling the whole shebang(including the two little apps I bought with it..they also make big problems for me).

I don;t want to do this, cause i know that the product is supposed to be the best there is in poprtection, byut it's user interface is impossible....and it is really casuing me grief.

katiejay

Reply to
katie jay
Loading thread data ...

Well dump Norton then as you seem to have a lot of issues here with configuration.

If you have a DSL or Broadband connection, then get yourself a cheap NAT router for home usage and put it in front of the machine and let it be a simple firewall device that stops the unsolicited inbound threats to the machine. It's a plug it up and go device that needs little or no configuration on your part, provides instant protection from the Internet and will *NOT* interfere with applications running on the machine.

You see that's the problem with these personal FW solutions as they ask too many questions and present all sorts of issues for a user.

IMHO, you would be better off at this time by uninstalling Norton and enabling the XP FW for the time being with its default configuration that will not interfere with applications.

You may want to use Firefox (free) as your default browser that is like IE but is more secure that IE and less attackable than IE. You could look at Thunderbird too as you email client program instead of using Outlook which is less attackable than Outlook, although I use Outlook. :)

I don't like the suite applications like Norton myself as they have too much bloat and other crap that will confuse with possible mis-configuration by the end-user.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Oops, I meant ZA not Norton, but it's the same thing with either one of them.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi Duane, thanks for the input

I uninstalled Norton before installing ZASS so I know that's not the problem here....

I didn;t like Norton primarily because they have lousy tech support(read:NONE) and they didn;t do too good a job of detecting a sys monitor that got installed.....

I never found them particularly hard to use, but Zone Alarm ZASS is another story...

the learning curve is just too high for me I guess.... and none of their links to almost anything on any page works... and they have not answered my questions via customer support.....soooo out they go!

I am getting a refund from them, uninstalling and then system restore back to Norton(if it will come up). If the norton won;t come up then I will use the Windows firewall and look into your suggestion on the NAT's.

katiejay

Reply to
katie jay

I've had adequate success with the free version of ZoneAlarm. The features beyond those provided by the free version are easily available for free: avast! anti-virus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware. There are good reasons for going with Mozilla Firefox as a browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for your emailer. I still use Outlook Express as my newsreader but only because I've not taken the time to find a replacement.

(And don't forget the Open Office suite of programs for a free, open source replacement of the Microsoft Office suite.)

Reply to
Billy Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.