Zone Alarm and DNS?

Just recently installed Zone Alarm. After doing so, I noticed that sometimes IE and Firefox DNS lookups are failing (and probably other programs too, haven't checked yet). Checking the Zone Alarm logs, I see blocked access attempts that include the DNS server's IP address and reference srvhost.exe What's going on here? I hit "allow" for both Firefox and IE when I was first prompted to.

Reply to
skull_leader7
Loading thread data ...

NIce that you hit allow for firefox and IE, but the OS name resolution, which both firefox and ie depend on for DNS, is part of neither. THAT is the svchost.exe refernces you see. Allow svchost.exe access to udp port 53.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

It seems to me that you have *blocked* the messenger for the O/S svchost.exe that does many things for the O/S and programs one being communications on the network. The Internet is a network. I don't know what leads people to start blocking or messing around with svchost.exe it's just the messenger. The O/S and other programs including malware can use svchost.exe on their behalf and it's not svchost.exe that making the request for communications.

One should find out what's using the messenger and kill it and not kill the messenger.

formatting link
If svchost.exe is not running out of the System32 directory when it's running, then you have a problem as it's Trojan. That's the c \\winnt\\system32 or c:\\windows\\system32 directory on the Win NT 4.0, 2K, XP and 2K3 O/S.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.