firewall questions

I have two problems.

1) One device manufacturer requires specific ports to be open. One of them is UPD 2190. How do I determine if a port is open? 2) My laptop can not access shared folders on my PC across a wireless network. Dell reps say there is no way to configure my firewall to let my laptop access my PC folders - I have to disable my firewall to do that. Is there no way in Norton Firewall to allow my laptop to access folders thru a firewall?
Reply to
Old Guy
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:19:53 -0400, Old Guy spoketh

1. Depends on the firewall in question. Usually, a rule needs to be created to allow traffic on a certain port to connect in/out, but since you give no specifics, that's just speculation.
  2. Where is Norton installed? On the PC or the Laptop? Norton can be configured to allow selected IP addresses connect to certain ports, so yes, you can access shared folders through the Norton firewall. Again, you give no specifics, so I cannot provide any more specific answer.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Not sure if it allows opening up specific port #'s... but maybe this helps?

formatting link

Reply to
zilch

Best I can tell, I have found how to create rules for Norton Firewall. Gotta tell you I am greatly cofused. I have found how to block ports but not how to open them. Granting access? I can find how to grant ranges and individual addresses but not how to grant ports to specific IP addresses. I know so little about firewalls you will have to tell me what specifics you need.

Reply to
Old Guy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.