What's The Concensus On The NetVeda And Jetico Personal Firewall Products?

I'm getting bored with ZA and am curious as to what the group thinks of these two products. If there's better freeware out there then by all means chime in.

Cheers!

Reply to
Beldar Conehead
Loading thread data ...

You will probably get a much better response if you ask your question in the firewalls forum below:

formatting link
Lot of people there who have tried both Jetico and Netveda and have opinions on both. There's a huge Jetico thread as well. Good place for discussion of software firewalls.

Reply to
Kerodo

He didn't ask about the Windows Firewall - and show me any reputable source that says the Windows Firewall is as good or better than ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Reply to
Leythos

Zonealarm cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the "Personal Firewalls".

Zonealarm does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as this is not possible at all.

Zonealarm is vulnerable to the SelfDoS attack.

Just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Consensus? In this group? LOL

Groups don't think. Individuals do. Usually differently. Then there's the problem of not knowing your audience. Are they clueless users or experienced security professionals? or neither?

I'll try to sober up now.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Yea, I understand, but suggesting that one use Windows Firewall over ZoneAlarm (which blocks inbound and outbound) is just plain stupid. I have the Windows Firewall Service disabled on my laptops and use Tiny on them, Kerio use to be on a couple, and we've got a lot of residential types that use ZA and ZAP. None of the are using Windows Firewall due to it's limited ability to protect the OS and the users.

Reply to
Leythos

But this group is still about security, isn't it?

Maybe not the best analogy but I think also not a bad one:

If someone asks you: "I'd like to run a parcel service. What car would you use for that job? A Ferrari or a Porsche?"

Your answer would be Ferrari or Porsche. Is it a good suggestion? Think about it a minute or two...

cu, Wolfgang

P.S.: One can't give a well-founded judgement about closed-source if he doesn't see the source code. And AFAIK all windows firewalls are closed source. Period.

Reply to
Wolfgang Zweimueller

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Beldar Conehead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.