PIX vs CP NG

I currently have two CP NG/AI boxes running on Nokia IP350 applicances. Given the high cost of CP Software Subscription, I was curious what type of PIX box (es) I could move into and if the cost is generally less on a yearly basis. Is there a yearly subscription for the PIX boxes/Software images outside of the SmartNET sub?

I am guessing that it is a matter of what you want to buy but the feature sets are probably the same? If you need more specifics about a certain config so that you can offer up more insight, let me know.

TIA

Reply to
Harkin
Loading thread data ...

In article , Harkin wrote: :I currently have two CP NG/AI boxes running on Nokia IP350 applicances. :Given the high cost of CP Software Subscription, I was curious what type of :PIX box (es) I could move into and if the cost is generally less on a yearly :basis. Is there a yearly subscription for the PIX boxes/Software images :outside of the SmartNET sub?

No, SmartNet is it, with the cost depending upon your model and upon the response level you contract for.

If I recall correctly, -technically- you could go outside of SmartNet: the SAS and SUA class of support contracts provide software updates without hardware maint, and are considered [AFAIR] by Cisco to fall under the "SmartNet" banner... but it's a moot point, really. "SmartNet" includes hardware and software maint both, and SAS and SUA are nearly as expensive as 8x5xNBD SmartNet.

:I am guessing that it is a matter of what you want to buy but the feature :sets are probably the same? If you need more specifics about a certain :config so that you can offer up more insight, let me know.

The CP and PIX feature sets have noticable differences.

If you want integrated IPS (intrusion protection), then you might want to look at Cisco's new ASA line of security appliances,

formatting link
. PIX's IPS are not as extensive as the ASA. I don't know enough about CP to say how they compare to PIX or ASA.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.