Uninstalling ZoneAlarm

I tried to update to ZA 6.1.737 (free version) and had some problems with not being able to access my email in Outlook Express. So...I uninstalled it and messed something up. Now when I try to reinstall this new version I get:

"set-up is unable to shut down the True Vector service. Install cannot continue without shutting down the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program."

Argh! I'm not a computer whiz here like many of you folks and could really use some help. When I do a search for ZA I find a remnant in the Windows/system32/ folder...things like: camupd.dll, cerbprovider.pvx, ssleay32.dll, vsavpro.dll, vsdb.dll vsmon, vrsuledb.dll and ZLCommDB.

Do I need to completely eradicate these files before I can do a clean install of the newest version?? If so, how do I do that?? I get a little nervous when it looks like I might have to go into safe mode. Oh how I wish I would have just left the old version alone. Anyone??

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Sincere condolences.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Craig

Reply to
Craig

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:41:20 -0600, "Mike" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The basic problem is that ZA loads a True Vector driver, vsdata95.vxd, at bootup, even if automatic startup is disabled. This is what interferes with your reinstallation. It also interferes with my Kerio Personal Firewall in a very peculiar way ...

formatting link

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

I uninstalled ZA once and it completely screwed up my internet connection. Internet connection would suddenly close until I rebooted. I did a reinstall of Windows and vowed never to use ZA again.

Reply to
Sean Cousins

Reply to
Bob Horvath

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.