ZoneAlarm version 6.5 WARNING

I have positively identified ZoneAlarm version 6.5 as the cause of my BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) after Check Disk. I have also observed this on two other computers other than mine.

NOTE: Version 6.5.714.000, released today (June 15, 2006), DOES NOT resolve this problem, and the other problems I describe below.

Even the ZoneAlarm Free 6.5 (firewall only), causes the BSOD after Check Disk.

BSOD: SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

*** STOP: 0x00000071 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

After this BSOD, the only option that works is to boot with "Last Known Good Configuration".

Other problems I have noticed caused by ZA 6.5:

1) Eudora fast search indexing interfered with (X1 search). 2) During shutdown of Windows, ZA does not shut down properly, and continues to write to the Windows Registry while the computer is shutting down.

!!!!!! Until Zone Labs have solved these problems, I recommend that everyone uninstall version 6.5, and install the last known good version,

6.1.744.001. !!!!!!

- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

- -- Mark Twain

-

- Bruce A. Johnson in Hardisty, Alberta, Canada

- snipped-for-privacy@BruceJohnson.ca

-

formatting link

Reply to
Bruce A. Johnson
Loading thread data ...

Why bothering with such a "Personal Firewall" after all?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Volker Birk wrote on 2006-Jun-16 in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.uni-ulm.de:

To keep your computer from polluting the Internet further when your computer is infected by viruses, spyware, etc. Windows firewall does NOT monitor outgoing Internet connections like most other firewalls, just incoming ones.

- -- Mark Twain

-

-

formatting link

Reply to
Bruce A. Johnson

This does not work anyways. You're fooled by advertizing nonsense.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Volker Birk wrote on 2006-Jun-17 in news:44944557 @news.uni-ulm.de:

I don't pay attention to advertising. I pay attention to what a product does, and the results.

There are many zombie mailing computers out there, whose owners don't have a clue that a spammer is using their computer to send out spam. I have met a couple (zombie computer owners, as well as spammers). They wouldn't have had as many computer headaches if they had had decent security software, including a firewall that monitors outgoing Internet connections.

I think you're probably just yanking my chain, but I say the above so then others will hopefully learn to get good security software.

- -- Mark Twain

-

-

formatting link

Reply to
Bruce A. Johnson

Then you should know, that "controlling outbound" is a fairy tale.

The latter does not prevent, cannot prevent communication. Because we discussed this so many times, and even Microsoft accept, that this is not possible, please first read the corresponding discussions here and afterwards we talk again.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Just to confirm that I did a chkdsk /f with ZA v. 6.5.714.000 and The PC started ok but had stop (my very first auto-reboot in years) 5 mins later.

Reply to
Axo

Well, the last days I installed the Apache server 2.2.2 on my computer with XP Pro as OS. the first thing I saw after reboot was a window with the question by the XP firewall: apache.exe wants to connect to the internet. Will you allow it once, ever or never?

I should mention that I don't have any other firewall on my pc running, only the XP firewall.

Reply to
Klaas

This has nothing to do with this nonsense of "controlling outbound". This is a useful function to configure the packet filter for allowance of listening sockets.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.