Computer keeps uploading non-stop . . . could this be a virus/spyware?

Hi,

I use a program called DU meter that monitors my upload and download rates when I connect to the internet. Recently (within the last 3 days), I noticed that my internet connection is uploading at between

0.1kB to 7.3kB per second all the time.

Could this be a virus or spyware? I've scanned with Norton Antivirus, Trend-micro, and Ad-aware, but they all came up clean.

I use zonealarm, but it didn't give me any warnings like "X program is trying to access the internet".

I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know how to determine the cause of this weird uploading problem. Thank you.

Regards, JFF

Reply to
JFF
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (JFF) wrote in news:7faf916c.0504162013.7c94f6f7 @posting.google.com:

You can use the tools in the link like Active Ports and Process Explorer. You right-click on a running task and go to Properties with PE and it will tell you every thing about the running task.

You use menu option View Lower Pane and Show All DLL(s) and PE will show everything that's using the running task and you can right-click in the lower pane too.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If he has a rootkit that data can be faked. I would use something like ethereal first to see what king of traffic his machine is sending to the network. But I am surely a bit paranoid, probably is just a worm/spyware, or maybe one of those bots.

Regards.

Reply to
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez wrote in news:426230a6$ snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

Yeah, you can do that too. But it still comes down to what is doing it on the machine and it must be found if possible. Etereal can only show that trafic is leaving the machine and not what program is doing it or is being used as a host by another program.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If running XP use Task Manager to see what processes are actively using the cpu time and stop them.

Reply to
Woody

"Woody" wrote in news:ukz8e.104$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

The Task Manager on XP Pro doesn't give in-depth information as to what is running on the machine and what are the processes that are using a running process on their behalf. Like in the case of svchost.exe which is used by the O/S and also can be used by a malware program or DllHost.exe is an O/S program and there are many other such programs used by the O/S and/or other non O/S programs using those O/S programs on their behalf. So, you stop the host program but one really never knew who the culprit was that was using the host program. Therefore, the program may get its chance again, because one never found out just who it was.

Then there are other programs that disguise themselves to look like O/S programs so the end-user thinks they are legit. The malware program writers are very clever and if you shutdown something, they may have alternate ways or paths by using other programs on the machine to get out.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.