Strange problem when using PPTP VPN through Cisco PIX

Hello,

I have run in to a strange problem with clients behind a Cisco Pix fw trying to initiate PPTP connections to other sites, hope somebody can give me a hint as I'm not really a networking guru..

Anyway, my client has a Cisco Pix 515 as their main firewall. Clients behind it use the PPTP-client in Windows 2000/XP to iniate connections to other customers. For most of the time, this works fine except for one connection: This connection will connect nicely and let users connect to resources on the other side of the tunnel, but it will "freeze" and then disconnect after about 2 minutes every time. As far as I can see, packets from the other size of the tunnel will suddenly stop being returned, and after a couple of seconds without any received packets, Windows will consider the connection hung-up.

When I test the same connection from my broadband at home it will fork fine. Does anybody have a clue what could cause this?

Best regards, Trond Hindenes Norway

Reply to
trond
Loading thread data ...

This seems to be a client-server issue. Are you able to successfully connect from outside using a client setup on the same machine, which fails from behind the PIX?

As far as the PIX is concerned, the only things that I can think of are:

1. connection timeout
  2. xlate timeout.

You may want to check the settings on the PIX for these.

Reply to
paras

Hello snipped-for-privacy@hindenes.com,

Previously you wrote: [SNIP]

[SNIP]

You should have a look the following link, and read more about the limits of PPTP:

formatting link

-- BR, Thomas.

Reply to
Thomas B. Markussen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.