Pix 506e, PPTP problem

I have setup PPTP using the PIX 506e.

I can connect to the PIX no problem via PPTP, and I get an IP address. But I cannot access anything in the LAN when I'm connected.

Any Idea's?

Reply to
Travis
Loading thread data ...

In article , Travis wrote: :I have setup PPTP using the PIX 506e.

:I can connect to the PIX no problem via PPTP, and I get an IP address. But I :cannot access anything in the LAN when I'm connected.

Insufficient information.

Have you used a sysopt connection command to bypass ACL checking? If not have you constructed appropriate ACL entries on your outside interface?

What syslog messages are coming through?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I have done none of that, I'm some what new to cisco products.

I have the fixup for pptp setup.

What else should I be setting up?..., command wise.

Reply to
Travis

In article , Travis top-posted: :> Have you used a sysopt connection command to bypass ACL checking? :> If not have you constructed appropriate ACL entries on your outside :> interface? :> What syslog messages are coming through?

:I have done none of that, I'm some what new to cisco products. :I have the fixup for pptp setup.

:What else should I be setting up?..., command wise.

If you want your pptp users to bypass security checks:

sysopt connectipn permit-pptp

If you do NOT want your pptp-users to bypass security checks, then you need to construct an ACL applied to your outside interface. show access-group and see if there is one marked 'in interface outside': if so then the name after the word 'access-group' is the name of the existing ACL that you would have to add to.

To determine which IPs need to be listed as the sources in the ACL entries, you need to show vpngroup and look for an entry with the word address-pool in it. If so, then that will be followed by a pool name. show ip local pool followed by the pool name, in order to see which IPs will be temporarily assigned to the pptp clients. Note that the pool IPs MUST NOT be part of the "inside" interface address range -- that's a common mistake that it is important to fix.

ip local pool mypool 10.0.0.10-10.0.0.20 object-group network pptp-pool network-object 10.0.0.10 255.255.255.254 network-object 10.0.0.12 255.255.255.252 network-object 10.0.0.16 255.255.255.252 network-object host 10.0.0.20

To determine which IPs need to be listed as the destination in the ACL entries, you need to show nat and see if there is one similar to nat (inside) 0 access-list ACLNAME

If so, then show access-list ACLNAME and see if your pptp addresses appear in the -destination- fields. If they *do*, then when you are constructing the outside ACL for the access-group, the local IP addresses must appear unchanged in the -destination- fields of the ACL entries.

access-list out2in permit ip object-group pptp-pool host 192.168.0.17 access-group out2in in interface outside

If, however, you do not have a nat 0 access-list that lists the pptp addresses, then the access-list has to have the -external- versions of the IPs, as determined by looking at show static

static (inside,outside) 80.81.82.83 192.168.0.17 netmask 255.255.255.255 access-list out2in permit ip object-group pptp-pool host 80.81.82.83 access-group out2in in interface outside

If you don't have any relevant nat 0 access-list, and you don't have any relevant static, and you don't use the sysopt connection command, then your pptp hosts will not be able to initiate connections inwards to your machines. Based on your response, I suspect you might not have any static's set up.

People often turn on the sysopt connection permit-pptp in order to get the VPN basically working first. A fair number of people leave it turned on, but it is better security practice to turn off the sysopt and use explicit ACL entries. Typically if you control both end networks then you would use nat 0 access-list and then use internal IP addresses for both sides, but if you do not control the remote network then you would tend to use nat between you and it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm trying to understand what your telling me, but some info I don't understand.

I turned my error logging on and it gave me this.

05 13:16:45 305005: No translation group found for udp src outside:10.0.0.10/137 dst inside:192.168.111.101/137

The 10.0.0.10 is the first address in my pptp pool I setup on the pix. The

192.168.111.101 is my DNS server on the inside of the PIX network.

Any idea's?...,

Reply to
Travis

In article , Travis wrote: :I turned my error logging on and it gave me this.

:05 13:16:45 305005: No translation group found for udp src :outside:10.0.0.10/137 dst inside:192.168.111.101/137

:The 10.0.0.10 is the first address in my pptp pool I setup on the pix. The :192.168.111.101 is my DNS server on the inside of the PIX network.

:Any idea's?...,

You haven't set up nat 0 access-list nor static so when the PPTP packets reach your interface and are decapsulated, the PIX doesn't know where 192.168.111.101 is. The PIX outside interface only knows about your inside IP addresses if you nat 0 access-list or static the IPs.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ok.

So what do I enter into my PIX to make this work?

Reply to
Travis

access-group out2in in interface outside access-list out2in permit udp object-group pptp_pool_ips object-group pptp_destinations eq 137 access-list out2in permit tcp object-group pptp_pool_ips object-group pptp_destinations eq www

nat (inside) 0 access-list nonat_acl access-list nonat_acl permit ip object-group pptp_destinations object-group pptp_pool_ips

network-object host 10.0.0.10 network-object host 10.0.0.11 network-object host 10.0.0.12 object-group network pptp_pool_ips

network-object host 192.168.111.101 network-object host 192.168.111.93 network-object host 192.168.111.116 object-group network pptp_dest :So what do I enter :> :05 13:16:45 305005: No translation group found for udp src :> :outside:10.0.0.10/137 dst inside:192.168.111.101/137

:> :The 10.0.0.10 is the first address in my pptp pool I setup on the pix. :> The :> :192.168.111.101 is my DNS server on the inside of the PIX network.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm just about to enter this into my pix. I just had one question.

any reason why you have 3 ramdom addresses listed for 2 diff networks?

Reply to
Travis

In article , Travis wrote: :I'm just about to enter this into my pix. I just had one question.

:any reason why you have 3 ramdom addresses listed for 2 diff networks?

Typing more than 3 for an example gets tiresome. The pptp_pool_ips object should list all of your PPTP pool IPs, and the pptp_destinations object should list all internal hosts that your PPTP users are allowed to communicate with.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm having a problem entered in the info you gave.

once I type the frist line " access-group out2in in interface outside"

It gives me an error of "ERROR: access-list does not exist>

Do I need to add some diff info frist?

Reply to
Travis

In article , Travis wrote: :I'm having a problem entered in the info you gave.

:once I type the frist line " access-group out2in in interface outside"

:It gives me an error of "ERROR: access-list does not exist>

:Do I need to add some diff info frist?

You find it confusing to encounter a posting that has to be read starting from the bottom and going towards the top, and yet you persistantly top-post. Interesting.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.