router firewall

do I need a software firewall if Im using a router firewall. (dlink 604)

Reply to
Al
Loading thread data ...

"Al" wrote in news:EoCSc.7292$fz2.179@edtnps89:

No D-link router has a FW and meets the specs in the link.

formatting link
If the router had a FW, then it would meet the specs in the link.

formatting link
The D-link 604 is a fine NAT router for home usage with some FW like features. But it doesn't meet the spec for a FW appliance based on the link above.

Some people supplement the NAT router with a PFW solution on the machines behind the router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

He basically said that your router does not have a full firewall on it. However, the only way to truly know is to have someone port map you.

Reply to
NeoSadist

If your trying to confuse then you have succeeded, guess I'll cover the bases and install a pfw.....

Reply to
Al

It almost confused me too, and I support his position.

A NAT router is not a firewall, it is an effective means to block unsolicited inbound connections, but that's about the limit of it in many cases.

There are NAT routers out that provide additional features, but most of them are turned off by default, and they are only stop-gap add-ons, not what I consider industrial strength filters.

A router with NAT is a very good choice for a home user, everyone should have one provided free from their ISP. If you use a router, have a quality anti-virus package, scan your machine for spyware frequently, and start using FireFox browser, you stand a very good chance of never getting compromised by the web/email.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news:MPG.1b852e4a3583fe5a9896d1@news- server.columbus.rr.com:

Name a good AV of your choice.

Reply to
beatnik

While I use Symantec Small Business Edition 8.1 for most clients and in our office, and our personal system, I've been very happy with friends and SOHO's that are using NAV 2004. Just the AV software, not the suite for security. The corporate version doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 2004 version does, but if I feel comfortable installing it on my mother-in-law's computer then you should also feel comfortable with it.

Many people will bash NAV, but we've seen it save many clients where McAfee and others have failed at other locations.

I have also installed AVG on several non-critical, non-user machines, ones that do things like logging phone calls and such, but I don't have enough experience with it to personally recommend it.

Two things to keep in mind - it's a subscription based product, good for one year, and it's only as good as your letting it update every day. By default it will update once a week, change it to update at 11 PM every night of the week (so that you catch the new updates right away).

Reply to
Leythos

I use Tiny on my laptops, and Kerio on a couple, I understand about NAV, I read about other users having problems, but we've not see it in hundreds of systems with all sorts of users.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

I don't know about NAV in the work place. It seems to be running fine on my work machine. It runs once a week. However, it runs in 30 to 40 minutes one week and 80 minutes or more on other weeks. I have not figured it out as to why the time disparities. I was told it was because of temp files and my Internet activities. I don't know if I completely buy into that one. It's not crapping out is the main thing.

NAV on my home machines was a PITA as it would go disabled for no reason and the Live Update I called the Death Update. I uninstalled and reinstalled NAV more than a dew times when I was using it.

I have been using NOD32 for a couple of years now had have been happy with it to date.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:13:23 GMT, Al spoketh

I've had NAV2000 and NAV2003, and it's never caused any problems with any of my computers. With my "always-on" connection, it updates itself as needed, and does a good job at keeping crapware that arrives via e-mail from doing any harm.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

"Al" wrote in news:nOLSc.8429$X12.1107@edtnps84:

NOD32 is simply the best AV firewall around!

Reply to
beatnik

Had a major problem with norton firewall and XP updates, the firewall would disable the update and lock out the user. Kept getting a msg that I needed admin privileges to restart it and I was the admin. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it kept locking up. The second problem occured when I tried to upgrade, norton wouldnt uninstall. The upgrade couldnt, the add/remove and the nav uninstaller couldnt. I had to manually take it out, with help from nortons site, they have a detailed site for help on this. Seems Im not the only one who had problems

Reply to
Al

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.