Any device to connect home wired Ethernet to outside 802.11??

It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.

Reply to
J. Clarke
Loading thread data ...

Connect the laptop to one of the switch ports. The WRT54G has four of them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through a wired port.

Reply to
MMM42

He wants to connect wirelessly to someone else's wireless network. A wireless router provides wireless on the LAN side, not on the WAN side.

To the OP: you could (probably) do this with a wireless AP that can act as a client, which you would then have to plug into the WAN port of an ordinary router. I've never tried it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Are you saying that I can take a wireless router like Linksys WRT54G that mentions only one interface to backbone Internet through its wired Ethernet port and then use it in reverse, i.e. use its wireless interface for backbone Internet and connect a laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable. Manual does not mention such a setup.

Reply to
MMM42

I'm not sure I understand what point you think you are making about having a port for the power supply. The device in question, if you will be kind enough to go to the Netgear site and look at the datasheet, is a multipurpose device combining a four port Fast Ethernet switch, an 802.11g WAP, and a NAT router with some other bells and whistles providing a fifth Ethernet port. He can connect his laptop to any of the four ports of the Fast Ethernet switch and it will be able to access devices connected via

802.11g.
Reply to
J. Clarke

It has also one port for power supply!??%^*^?? Frankly, leave the subject to folks who know more about wireless.

Reply to
MMM42

What you want is a wireless bridge. Linksys, DLink, and I would bet many others make them. The ideal one would be one that is the same manufacturer as the WAP of the originating network.

Reply to
Richard Johnson

Mark McIntyre ha scritto:

Im doing this with a dlink 604+ adsl wireless router and a dlink 900ap+ setup as an AP client. But if you do this, you *cant* use the AP in client mode as an AP, so your wireless cards wont connect to it (only the ethernet port would work).

You must setup it as a bridge, and it's *really* better if you use same brand (dlink with dlink, linksys with linksys etc..). I successfully used a linksys AP as a client of the dlink router, but i couldnt use it as a bridge

Reply to
NC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.