Problem With Norton Internet Security 2004 - Unable To Access E-Mail

My e-mail had been working OK until this morning. I have Norton Internet Security 2004, Outlook Express 6 and Internet Explorer 6. When I click "send and receive" in Outlook, I receive the following error message:

"The host 'pop.broadband.rogers.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop', Server: 'pop.broadband.rogers.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

The only solution I have discovered which will allow me to receive e-mail messages is to disable the Personal Firewall option in Norton Internet Security. I would prefer not to disable my Personal Firewall.

I telephoned my internet service provider and they checked everything on their end and there were no problems. They said that some customers have had the same problem and the solution would be to instruct Norton Internet Security to allow my server (pop.broadband.rogers.com)access, but I have no clue how to do this.

I would appreciate some guidance (because I would really like to check my e-mail messages) - please keep in mind that I am sort of computer illiterate and technical jargon will go right over my head.

Please note - I have no problem surfing the net using my Internet Explorer. But, in Outlook I am unable to view old e-mail messages with internet pages.

Thank you.

Reply to
ShoeGal
Loading thread data ...

I have 2003 but will try to help. Try this first: In Norton Internet Security 'Status & Settings' left-click "Personal Firewall". Then left-click "Configure". Left-click on "Program Control". See if "Microsoft Outlook Express" is listed and 'Internet Access' is set at 'Automatic' and 'Category' is 'Multiple'. Then repost your findings.

Reply to
Bugsy

Hi Bugsy!

Wow! Thanks for the superb advice. I followed your instructions and I discovered that "Microsoft Outlook Express" is listed under "Programs", but "Internet Access" was set at "Block All" and the "Category" was set at "General". I changed the settings to "Automatic" and "Multiple" and voila .... I can now send and receive my e-mail messages - Yippee! I have no idea how the settings got changed (we have friends from overseas visiting and they told me that my computer crashed while they were using it yesterday), but I am very happy that you were able to help me fix it. Thanks once again for your help - it is much appreciated. Have a fab long weekend.

Reply to
ShoeGal

DNS lookup error (WSANO_DATA).

If you happen to run Microsoft Windows XP, you could try using its "software firewall" instead.

Didn't you receive any kind of user manual when you bought the Norton toy? Anyway, since you state things worked before, maybe this alias chain from hell is now breaking the wretched thing:

pop.broadband.rogers.com. 3600 IN CNAME pop.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com. pop.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com. 1800 IN CNAME pop-rog.mail.yahoo.com. pop-rog.mail.yahoo.com. 1800 IN CNAME pop1.rog.mail.vip.re2.yahoo.com. pop1.rog.mail.vip.re2.yahoo.com. 7200 IN A 206.190.36.250

As a temporary measure, you could try using pop1.rog.mail.vip.re2.yahoo.com. I don't know what you have to clickety-click in Norton in order for the DNS query responses to pass through though. Maybe someone else can help, or maybe you could call Symantec's tech support.

Also, ask your provider to avoid CNAME chains like the one shown above. If necessary, borrow a copy of the O'Reilly DNS and BIND book by Albitz and Liu, and read the relevant paragraphs aloud to them (not too fast).

Tough. :-)

Thor

Reply to
Thor Kottelin

Heh, mebee had sumpin' to do with it. ;-)

Glad it cleared without more effort. Good 'un to you, too.

Reply to
Bugsy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.