Norton Internet Security 2003 problem

Hi,

(On Win2k Sp4)

I noticed that in the NIS 2003 options>liveupdate, liveupdate for Intrusion detection is turned off. I tried to turn the checkmark on but after closing and re-opening the options screen it remains unselected. All the other options are OK.

I tried the article "Failed to save settings. Please verify that your Windows account is not restricted." when turning on Intrusion Detection

formatting link
on Symantec support but it didn't solve the problem.

I also have Norton antivirus 2003 and the subscription for both is still valid.

thanks

Reply to
developmental2
Loading thread data ...

by the way I have performed liveupdate several times until it reported that all products are up to date.

thxs

Reply to
developmental2

If you're talking about the option in automatic liveupdate to monitor for new updates to intrusion detection I have exactly the same problem with NIS 2004. I turn the option on but the next time I go into this tab it's turned off again. monitoring for other updates (for personal firewall, for example) remain selected as expected.

I have emailed symantec about it (via their web site) and the best I've got so far is to suggest I ensure I am logged in as administrator (which I am).

Reply to
Sam

So can anyone help with this? I have ascertained that the intrusion detection updates really are not being monitored for by automatic liveupdate - so it's not just that this option *appears* to be de- selected. Antivirus updates were automatically downloaded this week but when I did a manual LU on Friday, there were Intrusion Detection updates waiting to download.

Reply to
Sam

Symantec have suggested their usual remedy ... " this issue may happen if some program files are corrupted. In order to resolve this issue, I recommend that you uninstall Norton Internet Security (NIS), perform a cleanboot and then reinstall. "

Annoying, not least since this happened after a recent reinstall to resolve a different problem (it did resolve that problem)!!

Reply to
Sam

I don't think this issue has anything to do with corrupted files in our end. my nis2003 installation is a fresh one after installing win2k the first time on a new hard drive. I did notice, that while doing liveupdate the first time, it failed to download all the updates with some error that liveupdate didn't complete all updates and to run it again-I rebooted and ran it again, three times until it sais everything is liveupdated.

perhaps the current symantec liveupdate filed are not completely backward compatible with NIS 2003/4 any more.

thanx

Reply to
developmental2

Maybe not. I did reinstall and the same problem was there. I have now removed NIS from my system and have returned to using Zonealarm free version and eTrust AV (free for a year). The system boots up incredibly much more swiftly!

Reply to
Sam

The main reason I am using norton products is that I have several computers in a peer to peer network (no domain server) and only 2 of them have an internet connection. With norton I can set up one of them as a liveupdate server, to download all the virus and product updates and the other computers download it over my netowrk without needing to connect to the internet. It took me so long to get this method working completely that I am reluctant to try it on some other product.

Reply to
developmental2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.