Norton Internet Security

I have a ZYXEL router and use Norton SystemWorks 2006. When I run a test, the answer is that all ports have the status Stealth. Do I still need i.e. Norton Internet Security 2006? Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Bart
Loading thread data ...

If all ports are closed, then here is no need to close them again. "Stealth" is nonsense BTW.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Your NAT router is providing isolation for your computers through a gateway, but NIS06 will "gateway" your computers' actual applications. Crap that "phones home" these days does so through common ports that are normally open. Your router has no way of knowing what program is sending traffic. So, yeah, you don't want to rely completetly on NAT alone -- you want something at PC level that gates actual programs based on your preferences.

I ran NPF2002 (along with NSW2002) on my windows computers for as long as Symantec allowed me to continue renewing subscriptions each year. (I don't like anything Norton after 2002 as it became complete bloatware.) But, if you already have it, why not keep on using it?

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, alongside with BlackICE, on the windows computer and (for the most part) happy. The two run just fine together. Sygate is a "application gateway" like Norton, ZoneAlarm, ect while BlackICE is a IDS that analyzes what is actually flowing in packets.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.