Zonealarm & 'Server Access'

I agree wholeheartedly. In particular, Windows XP includes SvcHosts.exe and it asks for server rights automatically. Other programs use SvcHosts.exe to access the internet so not granting server rights is important.

Reply to
swingman
Loading thread data ...

A "server" listens, waiting for something/someone to contact it. You give a program server rights/access and you open a hole up in your firewall to allow something/someone to contact it. The port it listens on is no longer closed/stealthed, it is wide open. Unless you have a specific reason for allowing others to access your computer (I'm not talking about them sitting at your keyboard) then you don't need to allow server rights/access for anything.

It can, and eventually will. Deny server rights/access for everything, unless a program specifically needs it and you are aware why it does.

Reply to
dak

I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server access status or not.

Ron O'Brien

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

hi ron,

i think there is a difference in the access status. a service on your machine is avalible from the outside if you give the programm a server access. if you don't give it an access it couldn't.

yours richard

"Ron O'Brien" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:AsqOc.81$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Richard Petrick

No offence, but this is a prime example of why software firewalls will never be truly effective.

Reply to
Mike

Mike squirted these wordjisms deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in news:cee2vj$6uo$ snipped-for-privacy@thorium.cix.co.uk:

I think your point is that they would never be effective in the wrong hands.

In the right hands, however - and by that I mean someone who respects the power of their machine to sufficiently protect it - a software firewall is adequate to deal with most threats.

Reply to
David Qunt

define "effective" plze. define "truly" plze.

fr gr Erik

Reply to
Erik

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.