Norton Internet Security 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to install Norton Internet Security 2002 from CD onto an ancient Gateway Solo laptop running Win98.

Yeah, yeah, I know firewalls are mostly useless these days, but NIS does has a nice pop-up blocker I wouldn't mind having on this machine.

The problem: When I run Live Update to try to upgrade to the latest software and definitions, it downloads about 8 megs of stuff successfully, but then hangs trying to install it, apparently stuck in an infinite loop of intermittent disk writes.

Any ideas on how I can get around this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Heckman
Loading thread data ...

Who told you that a personal packet filter is useless? Personal packet filters are viable solutions in stopping unsolicited inbound traffic/packets.

What you're trying to install is not a FW. A FW sits at the junction between two networks, A FW werther it's a host based solution running on a gateway computer or a hardware solution will have two network interfaces a network.

One interface is to protect from a network usually the Internet/WAN; the FW is protecting from. The other interface is to protect a network the LAN; the FW is protecting.

It's typical Norton and the Liveupdate that will go wrong, get rid of it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I wonder if todays updates are too much for such old software! Do Norton still support NIS2002? Does NIS2002 expect to find Win98se?

Geoff@York

Reply to
Monkey Hanger

As far as I know Norton stopped support for its 2002 software ages ago. No doubt he got this software for a song or it had been installed on a countless number of computers as Norton didn't have installation keys in those days.

Reply to
choro-nik

Actually, less than a year ago. But from what I've gleaned in the anti-virus newsgroups, 2002 will still update itself to the latest and greatest *if* I can get the downloads to install correctly.

Nope, I bought the CD myself directly from Symantec when I was still using the laptop in question as my main machine. Now I'm trying to resuscitate it as a backup machine.

Reply to
Jim Heckman

On the extremely off chance anyone cares, it turned out 'all' I had to do was shut down all other tasks and let Live Update churn away for a couple of hours...

Reply to
Jim Heckman

We don't care. :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

It's always good to know the outcome Jim. That's something that is VERY rare in the NG. Thanks, Geoff@York

Reply to
Monkey Hanger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.