Norton blocking IE6

Since my last live update from Norton Internet Security a few days ago I cannot access my mailserver with Norton security switched on. What gives? The permissions are set for "permit all" yet I can't access my mail server without switching off the firewall.

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

Sorry - that's outlook express, not Internet Explorer.

Reply to
George

I have the same issue... nothing on Symantec's site that I can find to help. Any ideas are appreciated!

Reply to
gtosteve

just a a new rule allow outbound tcp port 110 # this is the inbox access allow outbound tcp port 25 # this allows sending

Reply to
Jeff B

Thanks Jeff. This worked. In one of the screens there was the option of "any computer" vs "specific computer or address". I just ticked off "any computer" because I didn't have the address of sympatico. Could this threaten my computer's security?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

these are all outbound, so there's no risk at all. for all inbound rules, it is best to be specific.

Reply to
Jeff B

I will try this workaround, but...

Has Symantec issued a profound apology for BREAKING EVERYONE'S EMAIL? Has Symantec promised to test its "updates" more thoroughly so that this kind of fiasco never happens again? If not, we will probably just rip out (totally uninstall) our Symantec software and go with another vendor.

An "update" that silently breaks everyone's email capability is absolutely inexcusable, obviously.

Reply to
LGM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.