ZA blocks access to dns. Why?

Two days ago, I began receiving warning messages from ZoneAlarm

5.5.062 about blocking access to dsn. The messages looks like this:

"The firewall has blocked Internet access to 24.93.68.64 (DNS) from your computer.

Program: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. "

I have set up a trusted Internet IP range from .62 to .65 and the program is allowed to access trusted and Internet zones. But the log indicates that access to .62, .63 and .64 are blocked.

Why does ZA block the access to DNS?

Reply to
John Smith
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried to add your DNS address(es) into your firewall settings in the Internet Zone? That's what I always do.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Because ZA is crap.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

yeah :) sygate personnal firewall for windows is the best

Reply to
ToYKillAS

Howdy,

I am certainly no ZA expert, but...

I found that specifying trusted "ranges" rather than specific IP addresses caused me no end of (intermittent) trouble. When I did specify ranges, they were often blocked, often not. Maddening...

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Are you sure you haven't blocked it on the program control/programs tab...

Reply to
Woody

Are you running WinXP? If you have SP2 applied, have you made sure the WinXP firewall is disabled?

FWIW, under XP Pro w/SP2 w/ZA Pro v5.5.062, DNS randomly failed to resolve addresses. Instructions on the ZoneLabs web site recommended creating a trusted zone for DNS servers (like you've done),and changing permissions for the Generic Host Process to allow access to both trusted and internet zones and to be a server for trusted zones.

Paul V

Reply to
maduser

I'm running XP but not SP2. The program has access to both trusted and Internet zones and can function as a server. In other words, all permissions have been granted.

What puzzles me is it had been working for more than a month and just recently began to have problems.

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
John Smith

Yes. I have set up an IP range (24.93.68.62 to 65) for the DNS.

Reply to
John Smith

You might want to try the Trusted Zone to see if that makes a difference or not.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Based on what many ZA users have said, it seems that the ZA 5.xx series is riddled with various problems, some perhaps introduced in the latest release. You might try just going back to an older version if you can, especially if you've had no problems until now. I think you can download the last few versions from ZA's site if you need to. Or search with Google for one of the older releases. See their release history for version numbers and so on.

Reply to
Kerodo

I have had the XP firewall and ZA Free running together for 2 years now and NEVER had a problem. You can run both firewalls at the same time. Until 2 days ago when I updated ZA free! Now, whenever I log onto my PC(Internet Gateway) it blocks my kids pc from getting internet access. Then when I close ZA, my kids pc works just fine. All the settings in ZA have been the same since I have installed it 2 years ago. They have not changed since the update 2 days ago. Still there are problems and I am not aware how to fix them. Firewall settings are set to medium on my network. Permissions are set and still there are problems! Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Jack Barrett My Web Site:

formatting link

Reply to
Jack Barrett

I have had numerous problems with ZA [Pro] since installing the two recent updates. The fact that they released two within days of each other tells me that they did insufficient regression testing and had to issue an emergency fix (touted as an "upgrade") to repair a bug they should never have let out in the first place. After a v5 update a few weeks ago, ZA was blocking access to its own update servers. That seems to be fixed now, but there are new problems as I mentioned.

Specifying fixed IP addresses for DNS servers is fine if their IP addresses never change. What does one in a DHCP environment do? Verizon's DNS servers seem to shift around all the time...

Jason

Reply to
J Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.