Norton vs Zone Alarm

A local big box store has Zone Alarm antivirus for free after the rebate. I was wondering which is better as far as reliability and slowing down my system. I have Antivirus 2005 now but it will expire soon, and i am using the free Zone Alrma from the web. It seems Norton is very dificult to get rid of once you install it. Thanks for any opinions on this...tom

Reply to
Tom C..
Loading thread data ...

Do you want to choose between pestilence and cholera, SCNR?

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

Are you comparing firewalls, ZoneAlarm (free or Pro) vs. Norton Personal Firewall -- or antivirus products (I'm not sure if ZA has a standalone AV product vs Norton Antivirus -- or are you comparing suites (ZA Suite vs. Norton Internet Security)?

Many folks will say you need both a firewall and AV product these days.

Craig

PS--For what it's worth, I use ZoneAlarm Pro (Windows Firewall didn't seem enough for me -- and I switched from Norton's firewall to ZA a few years ago when their just-released product was buggy, and although their development folks knew about the problem, they weren't permitted to share their info with the Symantec off-shore customer service folks.) I also use the current Norton AV but am tempted to switch to AVG some day for AV protection.

-=c=-

Reply to
Craig

Whoops, sorry, Tom. I see now that ZA does offer a standalone AV product. I haven't ever used it and have seen no discussions in the newsgroups about it, either, although there may be some.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Ditch both, use AVG free or pro for antivirus

formatting link
I spent most of yesterday upgrading a windoze domain that had NAV 03-05 running on the PC's and *all* of them, bar the cluey admin's machine had spyware or viruses of some form which AVG Pro removed.

Ignore the bloatware NIS/ZA and get a decent firewall either running on an old box e.g. IPCop or one of the better Netgear models e.g. FVS318/338 which can be configured with a fairly decent ruleset.

Of course, every product can be rendered useless by user behaviour these days ;-> Knowledge and threat awareness is the only solution.

Cheers, E.

Reply to
E.

Actually I guess i would want to compare Zone Alarm Suite and NIS. I think i am farely protected now with my router firewall, Zone Alarm firewall, and Norton AV 2005. I saw ZA Antivirus at Compusa for free after a 30.00 rebate, wondering how good it is....thansk for the help...tom

Reply to
Tom C..

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.