Zonealarm Mail sending issue

This message a duplicate in a.c.n.f, sorry but I forgot to x-post to c.s.f.

JH

=======

I have an interesting issue with zonealarm.

I am using the latest update to the free version.

In the firewall settings, I have set it to allow "smtp.comcast.net" as a trusted site, obviously for the sending of email. The problem is that comcast has "smtp.comcast.net" resolve to a group of servers, presumably for rudundancey or load sharing. If I edit the comcast mail entry in the firewall, I can tell ZA to look up the current IP's, store them, and mail sending works. However, comcast periodically changes the servers. I sometimes have to edit the "Comcast Mail" lineitem in the firewall several times a day, sometimes it will work for a week.

Shouldn't I be able to tell ZA to allow connections to "smtp.comcast.net" and have it work? Anyone know of a work aroud?

Further info:

I use Thunderbird for mail and news. Outgoing messages are virus checked by Kaspersky. Both Kaspersky and Thunderbird are in program control as "allowed to connect to the internet"

Any thoughts?

TIA

John

Reply to
John Hyde
Loading thread data ...

OR weak attempts to get around blocklisting. You're talking about one of the biggest spam-sewers on the planet, totally unrepentant, and thus widely blocked by huge numbers of users, ISP and such, around the world. If you want unrestricted use of email comcast cannot sell it to you because they refuse to get rid of their huge load of spammers, and so they are heavily blocked by everyone who knows how. Just FYI.

Again, probly trying to avoid blocklisting while keeping their spammers.

Not that it directly answers your questions, but you could probably benefit from my method of dealing with mail.

formatting link

Reply to
Quaestor

Procedurally, you are correct. This implies that DNS lookup is also allowed (ie: port 53).

If you allow ALL port 53 access and control domain access, then you should be fine

Reply to
Jeff B

A-Ha!. I'll try that and see if it helps. Thanks

JH

Reply to
John Hyde

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.