Windows 2000 drops internet connection

Hi

I have a PC with windows 2000 professional that keeps dropping the internet connection. However, I have TWO fairly exact copies of this running on the PC, one on each of two drives. The version on the D: drive can release and renew the tcp/ip connection, but the one on the C: drive can?t. It connects on boot, but loses the connection after a variable time, certainly less than the modem lease time. The C: drive version is the newest load (short history - win98 on C: later win2k on D:, solved some compatibility probs re old programs and started using win2k, now have deleted win98 and loaded win2k on C:). It?s pretty much all the same software (as the D: win2k version) loaded afresh. When I first started up broadband, the D: version would drop the connection at intervals. However, we moved house and it hasn?t dropped a connection since, I don?t know why (Modem had to be reset when it was powered up again)

I?ve tried deleting and reinstalling tcp/ip protocol, I?ve deleted the wsock, wsock2 and tcp/ip settings in the registry ? nothing seems to work. The thing that does my head in is that it works for one version, but not the other, so hardware problems seem to be ruled out.

Specs: Windows 200 professional Modem is D-Link 504G Mcafee firewall and antivirus HDDs C: 80GB, D: 20GB - both >50% free

cheers for any help Richard

Reply to
Trisk
Loading thread data ...

Richard,

goto house.trendmicro.com & run a thorough spyware and virus scan on your system, just to make sure you are not chasing trash. secondly, Assuming you are NOT using a router, when you drop your internet connection, it the connection dropping at the dsl modem (blinking sync/ready light)?

If not, goto dos (START>RUN>cmd) and enter ipconfig/all.... check or post your results..

P2E

Trisk Wrote:

connection. However, I have TWO fairly exact copies of this

PC, one on each of two drives. The version on the D:

renew the tcp/ip connection, but the one on the

on boot, but loses the connection after a

the modem lease time.

win2k on D:, solved some compatibility probs re old programs and

win2k, now have deleted win98 and loaded win2k on C:).

the same software (as the D: win2k version) loaded

at intervals. However, we moved house and it hasn?t dropped

since, I don?t know why (Modem had to be reset when it was

wsock, wsock2 and tcp/ip settings in the registry ? nothing seems to

other, so hardware problems seem to be ruled out.

cause of the problem appears to be that the TCP/IP settings had been

corrupted. They corrected themselves when I loaded a VPN connection.

don't know the cause, it's now not broken, so I'm not looking

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.