Kerio firewall causing XP to spontaneously reboot?

I recently installed Kerio firewall (v 4.2.3 or so) from Sunbelt Software (couldn't resist the $15 offer...) and coincidence or not, since then I have experienced a couple of spontaneous reboots of Win XP pro.

Anyone else experience this as well? Googling seems to indicate that the spontaneous reboot may not be limited to Kerio (or necessarily associated with it). FWIW, I have up to date AV, antispyware and etc. and that shows nothing.

I'd be interested in other Kerio users who may have experienced the problem...

please reply to newsgroup Thanks.

Kerry Liles

Reply to
Kerry Liles
Loading thread data ...

I have not experienced that one here, in fact I have had good luck with Kerio 4 in recent months. However, I will comment that this is the type of thing that often happens with some of the software firewalls, in particular Kerio 4.x and Outpost 2.x/3.x. Both are known for giving BSODs and sometimes your type of problem. In general, one has to try each one out on your system and see what happens. Sometimes it is the firewall itself and sometimes it's a conflict of some sort between the firewall and another piece of running software. It can be hard or impossible to track down.

I'd say that if you just started noticing this problem after installing Kerio, then the chances are good that's the problem. If you haven't already, you might also try posting on the Sunbelt Kerio forum on the off chance that someone will have a helpful suggestion:

formatting link

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks for the pointer to the forum - I'll check that out. I _suspect_ Kerio at this point simply because it is the only software change of note before the spontaneous reboots. I noticed the reboots primarily when viewing a web page with a number of frames with linked images (an ATI web page funny enough) and apparently a similar style page has also caused a reboot or two for my son (another user on the same PC at a different time of course). Perhaps it has to do with attempts to block "ads" or other presumed trash. I will poke around various Kerio options (although I have already noticed it is not too bright about doing that function).

regards,

Kerry

Kerodo wrote:

Reply to
kerry.liles

Thanks for the pointer to the forum - I'll check that out. I _suspect_ Kerio at this point simply because it is the only software change of note before the spontaneous reboots. I noticed the reboots primarily when viewing a web page with a number of frames with linked images (an ATI web page funny enough) and apparently a similar style page has also caused a reboot or two for my son (another user on the same PC at a different time of course). Perhaps it has to do with attempts to block "ads" or other presumed trash. I will poke around various Kerio options (although I have already noticed it is not too bright about doing that function).

regards,

Kerry

Kerodo wrote:

Reply to
kerry.liles

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.