Windows XP needs to reboot to access internet over WiFi

I'm running Windows XP service pack 2 on an HP Compaq nc8230. Quite often, when I change WiFi access points, I have to reboot before I can access the internet (web pages such as google). I've tried various access points and the story is the same. I am connected to the access point and manage to acquire an IP address, but can't apparently access any web pages. I even tried the following on my SpeedTouch gateway: The gateway was first disconnected from the internet; this is controlled by logging onto the gateway via a browser on a machine to which it is physically connected via ethernet cable. When I connect the gateway to the internet, and after some time, the laptop accessing the gateway by WiFi still can't surf. Again, even if I switch access points on the laptop, same story. It is only after rebooting that the laptop has internet access. Needless to say, it is a PITA to have to shutdown applications to reboot.

Is this a Windows XP feature?

(Along the lines of the "feature" through which you are given several minutes warning that the system reboots after downloading an upgrade without asking you. Or the feature that grays out the switches to turn off automatic upgrading, even for the administrator.)

Reply to
Use the Farts, Luke
Loading thread data ...

Must only be a "feature" of your specific version of xp and what you have messed with.. None of mine, or ones I see at work do it... Lucky you!

Reply to
Peter Pan

Er...which features are you referring to?

Reply to
Use the Farts, Luke

The "feature" is used in the sense that your WiFi card / drivers have some kind of "bug" / configuration problem. Most WiFi access points can be "hot" changed by Disconnecting and connecting to another by "View Available Wireless Networks..." when Windows Zero Wireless service is active and XP is "managing" the Wireless network access. There are additional software that can be installed / configured to do the very same thing. Check with HP.

--

Reply to
Yves Leclerc

when I change WiFi access points, I have to reboot before I can access the internet (web pages such as google). I've tried various access points and the story is the same. I am connected to the access point and manage to acquire an IP address, but can't apparently access any web pages. I even tried the following on my SpeedTouch gateway: The gateway was first disconnected from the internet; this is controlled by logging onto the gateway via a browser on a machine to which it is physically connected via ethernet cable. When I connect the gateway to the internet, and after some time, the laptop accessing the gateway by WiFi still can't surf. Again, even if I switch access points on the laptop, same story. It is only after rebooting that the laptop has internet access. Needless to say, it is a PITA to have to shutdown applications to reboot.

Jeff The Good solved this problem for me some time ago. He made two suggestions. The second one solved the problem for me:

1, Run: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS to clear the cache.

1. Disable the DNS cache.
    formatting link
    worst part is that it will also cache failed DNS lookups for 15 minutes and valid (but out of date) DNS lookups for a full day.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Have you tried using a different browser? Like firefox? If that also fails then it'd probably be the DNS cache as mentioned here in other posts.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Actually, I am using Firefox. I shall try "ipconfig /flushdns" when I next get my hands on the laptop. Thanks.

Reply to
Use the Farts, Luke

Well, it's not a card that I explicitly purchased, and the antenna is built into the display. Might be the drivers. I was hoping to corroborate the nonideal connectivity behaviour with someone using the same model (or have it refuted as a model-wide feature).

I am in fact using the built-in WindowsXP management of candidate access points. Asking HP will be my next step, but I generally trust the user base on usenet first.

Reply to
Use the Farts, Luke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.