Kerio 2.5.1 and XP Pro??

Will the freebie Kerio 2.1.5 firewall work with XP Pro?

Thanks

Reply to
pdc
Loading thread data ...

It's for my wife's machine. I don't want to fool around even though I could make a "restore" point before installing. I'd rather hear from someone who has tried the combination.

Zone Alarm freebie works for a while but then starts going goofy.

Thanks anyway for answering.

Reply to
pdc

I'll tell ya, this security stuff is a real pain in the butt.

Any firewall recommendations for XP Pro?

Thanks for answering.

Reply to
pdc

I should have mentioned she is using Firefox.

I think sygate is only for IE.

Reply to
willr

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some say it does, some say no. Try it.

Reply to
elaich

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com pounded out on the keyboard on or about 20-Dec-04 12:00:

Why don't you down load the 4.1.2 version of Kerio. Works just fine in XP Pro.

Reply to
Jeff Lord

It installs and runs ok, but lets through any packets with the fragment bit set. Use something else.

HiS

Reply to
Hassan I Sahba

Try free Sygate v5.6 build 2808

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

That's putting it nicely... :)

Reply to
Kerodo

Yeah, an external firewall. Get an old PC and run

formatting link
on it or splash out on a commercial solution. Better still, reformat the hard drive and install Linux. Crossover will allow you to run your Microsoft apps etc and Firfox runs just fine:-)

Reply to
Mike

I think you will find that the firewall requirements are independent of browser type. I run Opera and Firefox browsers and Sygate works just fine with them.

Reply to
Casey

Not really. Maybe a router, with a software firewall for outbound if you feel the need. Or Astaro/Smoothwall on an old machine if you have one.

I've heard that Sygate has loopback problems.

Cheers.

HiS

Reply to
Hassan I Sahba

Jeff Lord wrote in news:EZydnb736ILCzlrcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Maybe because it's a buggy piece of crap?

Reply to
elaich

snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm using Sygate and it only wants IE to be present at install. Runs just fine afterward even with IE gone.

Reply to
elaich

Really?!? Been running it for two straight months now and not one issue with it at all. Far better app then any of the others that I've tried. But to each his own. And since pdc is familiar with Kerio, wouldn't it make sense to stick with something he's know? Yes, it would.

Reply to
Jeff Lord

Why use a firewall with holes in it when you could use one of any number of them without holes?

Reply to
Kerodo

In message , Hassan I Sahba writes

I found one other problem, it obstructs the PC going into Hibernate, if that matters to you.

The fragmentation vulnerability is a serious issue, but that said the software is otherwise good, lite, simple & very widely used.

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

Hallo snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com, u ask:

May be, but look later.

Why?

Try to configure the PC for your woman restrictive enough:

formatting link
gives you help for:

Shutdown unneeded services, Configure your und your woman's account as a simple (not power) user, Use firefox as your browser, As a facultative part you can activate the built-in firewall of XP.

HTH Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

Dave English wrote in news:UA2menEN0+ snipped-for-privacy@thus.net:

That's the best feature of it. Hibernate is something that should be taken out and shot at sunrise.

AFAIK, there is not one documented case of this "serious issue" being exploited in the wild. I did dump Kerio for Sygate, but thinking of going back to it, since I'm never really sure what Sygate is or is not doing.

Reply to
elaich

I use it and the XP firewall at the same time. Kerio watches outbound and XP makes up for the Kerio defects inbound.

Reply to
Bob H

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.