Identification of Symantec Enterprise Firewall Version

I've been looking for a way to identify SEF from the outside. nmap and Nessus seem to have tests associated with version 6.x but not for 7.x or 8.x.

Can someone out there with a definate version 7 or version 8 intsall help me out with the following:

1) telnet 80 2) Enter "HEAD" (without quotes) and hit enter. [I know HEAD isn't a valid command like that, but that's kinda the point] 3) An error should be displayed including the Server information string. [You may have to sroll back to see it]

On a SEF 6.x installation this appears as "Server: Simple, Secure Web Server 1.1"

Can you confirm that 7.x and 8.x reply with a different Server string?

Reply to
kingthorin
Loading thread data ...

I've been looking for a way to identify SEF from the outside. nmap and Nessus seem to have tests associated with version 6.x but not for 7.x or 8.x.

Can someone out there with a definate version 7 or version 8 intsall help me out with the following:

1) telnet 80 2) Enter "HEAD" (without quotes) and hit enter. [I know HEAD isn't a valid command like that, but that's kinda the point] 3) An error should be displayed including the Server information string. [You may have to sroll back to see it]

On a SEF 6.x installation this appears as "Server: Simple, Secure Web Server 1.1"

Can you confirm that 7.x and 8.x reply with a different Server string?

Reply to
kingthorin

Cmon someone out there has to be able to verify this.

Reply to
kingthorin

Ok so just incase someone else ever needs this info. I finally got confirmation from Symantec that version 6.5, 7.x, and 8.x all use the same default banner. This also applies to version 3.x of their appliance implementation.

However, it should be noted that version 8.x and appliance 3.x can have the header altered in configuration files. While for version 6.5 and

7.x you can only alter the header by editing the binary directly (which may cause other issues if you make a mistake).
Reply to
kingthorin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.