Blocking everything except Outlook Express?

Hey, the internet at my office is only for use to get emails in Outlook express, yet people are using it more and more for personal browsing. Since I am sorta the tech in the office, I have been asked if there is any way I can limit internet acess, so only Outlook express is able to get online.... Anyone know if this can be done? We have a linksys wrt54g router that the internet goes through if it helps....

Reply to
dvds.ect
Loading thread data ...

Block everything outbound except TCP 25 (SMTP), TCP 110 (POP) and UDP 53 (DNS)

Reply to
Brian V

Yeah, you can set a rule on the router to block all HTTP outbound on port 80 that will kill everyone from going to the Internet with a browser. Or you could get a better solution like a FW appliance that has contense filtering and Website blocking. You can get a low-end one.

BTW, there would be no way I would try to protect a business with a wireless router. It's just a thought.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Get a firewall, not a NAT Router, and block everything except POP3, SMTP, DNS. You should allow HTTP to Windows Update sites.

A DFL-700 will allow you to create a white-list of approved sites by site NAME, meaing you can allow *.microsoft.com/* and *.symantec.com/* and a couple others, for HTTP and users can get all their Windows Updates (or *.intuit.* for QuickBooks updates)....

A typical secure environment means no access by default, start there and then only allow access to business partners.

A white list is easier to setup/maintain than a black-list.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos schrieb:

You should be able to do that even with the cheapest NAT router. This is about the simplest requirement you could possibly have.

Why dont=B4t you read his post? He does not want http at all, he wants email only. Although he should certainly look out for an email client.

Regards Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.