Trying to print wirelessly to a canon mp780 from mixed mac / pc environment

So I'm currently using a netgear ps121 a canon pixma mp780 and mixed mac / pc environment (both computers with the latest operating systems etc.)

I'm having some trouble and wondering if an airport express or extreme would have better luck sharing this canon printer wirelessly to the mac.

I'm working with a brand new core 2 duo macbook

the ps121 hosts the printer successfully on the network for our PCs in the house with a static IP, but I can't get the mac to print to this pixma mp780.

with LPD on the mac I can see the printer.. but I don't have any canon pixma drivers to select from Line Printer Daemon.. the generic driver it picks won't print squat, and I don't have any GIMP drivers or anything else open source to lash this together.

is there any way to get this mac - ps 121 - and canon mp780 combo working? settings? drivers I'm missing?

will another print server box like apple's get the job done?

canon released some new intel mac drivers for this printer that were supposed to enable some networking capability, but it looks like the printer has to be usb tethered to one computer and shared with the driver over the network to other computers.... and leaving a computer on 100% of the time to host this printer is an unacceptable energy hog in my opinion. I figure I'd rather just switch to a printer that has a built in network capability...

from canon support website

formatting link
Category : Other Inquiries Description : How to install the Software? How to Install the Driver and Software (Mac) To use this machine connected with a computer, application software must be installed in the computer. CAUTION:

- If antivirus software or system-resident programs have been installed in the computer, close them before installing the drivers.

- When Mac OS X is shared by multiple users (accounts), first, log in as an Administrator. NOTE: To use this printer in a network environment, install the MP driver into both the print server (computer connected to the printer) and the client(s) (computer(s) other than the server). Click the print server's [System Preferences], [Sharing], and [Services] to select [Printer Sharing].

1. Connect the printer to the computer with the USB cable.
  • The image is an example using the MP750 model.
  1. Turn the computer on to start Mac OS X.
  2. Insert the CD-ROM for setup (Macintosh version) into the CD-ROM drive, and double-click the [CD-ROM] icon on the desktop.

1. Double-click [Setup].

1. Enter the Administrator name and password for logging on to the computer, and click [OK].

NOTE: Click the [?] icon to display the Help files for the printer.

1. Click [Easy Install].

NOTE:

- The software installation can be performed using [Easy Install] and [Custom Install] methods.

- [Easy Install] enables the installation of the MP driver, MP Navigator, application software, and on-screen manual.

- To change which items are to be installed, click [Custom Install].

1. Click [Install].
  2. When the License Agreement window is displayed, read it carefully and if you agree, click [Yes].
  3. Installation will start.

NOTE: Installation may take several minutes to complete. Please be patient. If a message requesting action for installation is displayed, follow the directions on the screen to continue the installation.

1. Click [Next].
  2. Click [Restart].

NOTE: If the installation is not successfully completed, re-install the software.

1. Installing of the drivers and software is completed.
Reply to
hupjack
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.