Earthlink DSL with Linksys router: use DHCP or/and PPPoE?

I have my own Linksys router for a home network, and got DSL service with Earthlink. Per default settings, the router is configured with DHCP, IP assigned by server, not static. The Earthlink setup information I got is intended for one computer only, not connection through a router (their "home network" service with a router I don't need and tech support is another $8 a month), and they say to use the DHCP/Automatic setting for TCP/IP. However, I notice in Earthlink's modem diagnostics that there are pass/fail lines for "PPPoE server connection" and session (that are "pass" when the router is connected).

Should I configure the router for PPPoE? Seems to work okay as is, though I have a problem with voice phone use causing the DSL connection to fail (getting a whole-house splitter).

Obviously, I don't understand the difference between DHCP and PPPoE, or even if they are used together, or are alternatives. Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for any advice,

Reply to
Charles Wahl
Loading thread data ...

| I have my own Linksys router for a home network, and got DSL service with | Earthlink. Per default settings, the router is configured with DHCP, IP | assigned by server, not static. The Earthlink setup information I got is | intended for one computer only, not connection through a router (their | "home network" service with a router I don't need and tech support is | another $8 a month), and they say to use the DHCP/Automatic setting for | TCP/IP. However, I notice in Earthlink's modem diagnostics that there are | pass/fail lines for "PPPoE server connection" and session (that are "pass" | when the router is connected). | | Should I configure the router for PPPoE? Seems to work okay as is, though | I have a problem with voice phone use causing the DSL connection to fail | (getting a whole-house splitter). | | Obviously, I don't understand the difference between DHCP and PPPoE, or | even if they are used together, or are alternatives. Sorry for my | ignorance! | | Thanks for any advice, | -- | Charles Wahl |

Toggle between the two. If PPPoE works use it and set the MTU=1492.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.