FTP Connect Issues

I have an FTP server running on my Mac using CrushFTP. The Mac is connected to the net via a cable modem. Users are able to connect and transfer files with the server. When I try to connect from work the connection times out. When I try to ping the server from work, the ping times out. Pinging from

formatting link
shows a response.

I am able to use other FTP servers from work without a problem. The network admins here don't seem to know why I can't connect to my own server.

Anyone know what could be going on? I suspect the company firewalls are the problem, but I don't know why they're blocking my FTP server and none of the others I use.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Reply to
kris7
Loading thread data ...

Maybe because your DNS entry points to the public IP instead of the internal IP of the FTP server?

Reply to
Leythos

Hmmm, posting with windoze, using a Mac. The windoze version of TRACERT uses ICMP echo (ping) which may or may not get through firewalls. If you can run the original LBL version, it defaults to using UDP which has a better chance of making it through firewalls and misconfigured systems enroute. There is also a tcp based version which may be even more informative.

We block access to home networks, but that's us. I'd use a traceroute function to see what the problem may be. First, make sure there isn't a problem on the FTP server end - remember that the "conversation" needs to work from both ends. Also remember that traffic over the Internet is NOT reciprocal - "A" to "B" may not use the same intermediate steps as "B" back to "A".

Second - run a packet sniffer (analyzer, ethereal, etherpeek, snoop, tcpdump, whatever) on each end of the link, while trying to connect from the "other" end. Do you see traffic? Are there other connections that get tried/blocked, such as Identd (port 113) or similar?

We block all "home" access because of abuse and legal issues. FTP is hardly a secure protocol.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.