SyGate and FTP

When I am running Sygate firewall, I can not transfer files to and from my internet site by FTP (it works if I exit the firewall). I can login and if I give for example the ascii or binary commands, they are accepted. However, if I try the dir command, it times out after some minutes.

FTP is not in the applications list and I can not find any way to add it. As I can use it to log in, should it not be there? Obviously, Sygate permits trafic on the command port but not on the data port. Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks for any answer Anders

m a i l : anders d o t floderus a t swipnet d o t se

Reply to
ANDERS FLODERUS
Loading thread data ...

Hi. I solved my Active FTP problem on Sygate with two advanced rules. One rule Allows connection to remote port 20 outgoing. The other rule Allows connection to remote port 21 incoming. In each rule you can Allow the specific application(s) you use for the connection. Pasive FTP is a different matter. See Active FTP vs Passive FTP:

formatting link
that helps. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Opps....Got the port numbers reversed. Should be outgoing on tcp remote port 21 and incoming on tcp remote port 20.

Reply to
Casey

Thanks but it did not work, it still behaves the same way

I made a wider rule then you suggested but it did not help If you have any more suggestions I am very grateful.

yours Anders

Rule Summary: This rule will allow both incoming and outgoing traffic from/to all hosts on TCP remote port(s) 20,21,1024-8193 to/from TCP local port(s) 20,21,1024-8193. This rule will be applied to all network interface cards. This traffic will be recorded in the 'Packet Log'. The following applications will be affected in this rule: File Transfer Program,Perl Command Line Interpreter.

(when it works, I will use a perl script to mirror a local site.)

Reply to
ANDERS FLODERUS

I have downloaded CoffeeCup Free FTP and it works so I will use it instead.

Reply to
ANDERS FLODERUS

Filezilla is also an excellent FTP application.

Reply to
Casey

And another good free FTP app is Dart FTP. I use it with Sygate with no issues.

Reply to
Codex

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.