Fortinet/FortiGate - experience and observations?

Fortinet and its FortiGate product line seem to have appeared out of nowhere since the last time I looked at the firewall market. Does anyone have any experience with their products (esp at the high end of the SMB line - say the 300a)? The trade press reviews seem to indicate that the FortiGates have reasonably high performance, provide good price/performance ratio, but are difficult to set up. Does that match your experience?

Specific features I am looking at are QoS and two-ISP load sharing.

Thanks.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate the Miercom Competitve Lab Tests between the:

Fortinet FortiGate 1000

vs.

Cisco ASA 5520

Juniper Networks NetScreen-208

Checkpoint VPN-1 Pro

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco vs. Competitor Lab Tests

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hello sphealey,

We use this at work. I even spent a day with Fortinet Europe yesterday... :)

I like the product. You can do much with it.

QoS; supported. But I haven't tried it much. What do you need?

Load-sharing: supported. I have customers running this today. You should have almost equal speed lines. The load is divided by connection, so you will get unequal load anyway.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

:

formatting link
Isn't it funny when a vendor is ordering a test that their product is always winning by far and zero fields of improvement?

Other similar readings may include:

formatting link
and:
formatting link
Good luck!

Lars

Reply to
larstr

Hello

formatting link

I'm very scpetic where reviews give 100% to the one vendor paying for the test.

I got a Fortigate-500 unit at work and I have better performance than you got from the bigger FG-1000 unit. I don't use the antispam and the webfiltering function. But you didn't test with these functions enabled.

Reply to
Helge Olav Helgesen

Hi,

I had a good experienced on Fortigate 200 I worked around 1 year on that UTm Device and now upgraded to Fortigate 300A with failover.

Its not true Fortigate works like same as all other but it architecture is chip based sop processing is fast and i used a smal box like 200 in

100 users enviornemnt with fully loaded Antivirus,AntiSpam,WebF, user based Bandwdth shaping etc. Pricing is just a bit low then other devices like Sonicwall, Watchguard etc.

Its little bit diffrent then other devices GUI based but its better to take Admin guide before setting up BOX.

For QOS you have to cnfigure it it does IP and user based QOS . For Load balancing make sure you take minimum 4 port BOX.

CK

sphealey wrote:

Reply to
CK

EdwardFerrara had written this in response to

formatting link
: My experience with the AM60 is that yes it is difficult to setup. I also don't see alot of activity on this board for this type of device. Your post is over two years old. We'll see if someone responds.

Ed Ferrara __!__ -----o----- \\" \\"

------------------------------------- sphealey wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.security.firewalls - 27635 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
EdwardFerrara

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.