ASA re-visited

Anyone interested in trying to make a new start here?

Nice and civil, almost professional in here these days. Lots of new folks posting and all manner of interesting technical discussions going on now. There are still some lingering feuds which is somewhat disheartening but it appears there is room for movement. Maybe I could start. I jumped on a new poster who suggested I read the f****ng manual. I think it may have been that raisin fellow, if it was, I apologize for calling you an asshole, Joe. You'd have to have been here awhile to see how perfectly likeable fellows can become jerks. Not an excuse, just offered as an explanation.

Jim seems to think we have an opportunity here and I happen to think he makes some very good points. Perhaps a few simple ground rules and we all just jump on any poster who forgets them...

Over

Reply to
mikey
Loading thread data ...

If the big Bozo stay out ...

I will be more then happy to keep quiet ;-)

I've been enjoying this NG like never before.... We never had that much good conversation here,maybe because he was always telling us he would come back?

But what you know what? what if he just keep on reading..and keep on stealing info to put on his web site? what if he send his customer to us when he don't know an answer and tell them to not tell us he sent them here...for x and x reason..

Am I turning paranoid? LOL...

"mikey" a écrit dans le message de news: FY6dnZ2EJO3WHP snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
petem

should be interesting .. this place has become alot more professional lately .. thats foe sure .. still there is no way to properly moderate it, so it will be up to the regulars to keep it under control to a degree ..

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Eh? What did I miss while I was gone? Are you saying Bass is gone? What's the story?

Reply to
Aegis

He hasn't posted since about 2300 hours October 4th. No one seems to know where he is. He didn't post the "I'm going on Vacation... Going away for a few days" messages". From what I understand, he's not answering his emails either (as if *that's* news)...

Reply to
Frank Olson

It's not a matter of asking, Mike... I think it's already happening... Like Jim and a number of others have observed: Without RLB, the Group's actually pretty darn good!!!

There's always the "FAQ"...

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

In my experience, groups like this are mostly self-moderating.

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

That's only if there isn't one person who completely ignores the social contract for interacting in a mixed group and guiding FAQ that was used in setting up the group. If by "self-moderating, you mean that each person should govern their own limits to what is acceptable, what do you suggest should happen if one person refuses to restrain themselves? As long as one person acts as a miscreant, it will always cause dissent. In my opinion, it is then up to the group of participants to come together to subdue/chastise/make it evident that to all that his conduct is not acceptable. Not doing anything, simply enables the intruder and the corruption of the Newsgroup Lacking that, chaos abounds ..... as has been evident here for years.

I think there's an opportunity at this point to come to an agreement of what should be done about people who are the cause of disruption in this group. And for the sake of those who include me in that category, I don't exclude myself. Trying something different than what hasn't worked so far, couldn't do any worse than what's gone on here for much to long. If everyone's idea of creating peace in this group is to do nothing, simply waiting for Bass to show up or not, to see if HE's going to continue it or not, is just a invitation to continue the chaos. All that I've personally contributed to the chaos here, has been in opposition to his arrogance, and has been done in protest of the incredible lack of reaction about his unbelieveable conduct, by people here. It's my opinion, which has proven accurate, if people don't protest bad conduct, then you enable it. In a venue such as this, as long as some do and some don't, it will continue. It's only when all protest, that there will be credibility, significance, impact and strenght in numbers. It's simply the divison of numbers here, that has been the gateway for chaos.

We don't have to like one another, we just have to act as if we do, and act in unison in this one matter.

Reply to
Jim

Some will not be able to resist starting up shit when RLB returns...it'll be the same old stuff again.

OT: Where is that website with the images of some of the posters here...also had images of disaster installs? I keep losing the bookmark to it.

| > Nice and civil, almost professional in here these days. Lots of new folks | > posting and all manner of interesting technical discussions going on now. | > There are still some lingering feuds which is somewhat disheartening but | > it | > appears there is room for movement. Maybe I could start. I jumped on a new | > poster who suggested I read the f****ng manual. I think it may have been | > that raisin fellow, if it was, I apologize for calling you an asshole, | > Joe. | > You'd have to have been here awhile to see how perfectly likeable fellows | > can become jerks. Not an excuse, just offered as an explanation. | >

| > Jim seems to think we have an opportunity here and I happen to think he | > makes some very good points. Perhaps a few simple ground rules and we all | > just jump on any poster who forgets them... | >

| > Over | >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If there is any one reason why I did not frequent this news group much it was all the bickering and fighting that was going on. I really enjoy chitchatting with everyone here, but when you see so much anger and hatred--well, it was not a lot of fun to watch it.

I don't like everyone I meet and I don't meet only those I like. I don't see life like that. Everyone has their individual traits and some of those traits are good while some are bad. I just try to treat everyone like I would like to be treated. If we were to stick to that philosophy alone, I think everyone would be able to get along better. Also, as professionals we need to act professional. Lately I've seen a big change and no matter what the cause of that change may be, it looks good in this news group.

Thanks for listening.

Al

Reply to
Al Colombo

Al, that's exactly what's been happening here for years. Bass treats people badly and they treat him exactly as he treats others. Bass breaks the FAQ and others do the same. And that's EXACTLY the reason I do what I do here. I don't relish the fact that I disrupt this group, but if no one is gong to do or say anything to Bass for what he does here ...... to the group, to the trade, to individuals, I will protest that. And, simply to exemplify what the "do nothings" are allowing by their inaction, ....... it follows ..... if they don't protest one person breaking the rules of social conduct, then they simply leave the door open for anyone to break the rules. If you accept one persons bad conduct, you can't expect anyone else to obey any conduct limits either. If you allow one insult to pass by, you simply open the door to another ..... and another and it will just continue.

It HAS to be protested. If it isn't ....... it will continue. If one or a few protest and others just sit there and grin stupidly, and remark about how "entertaining" it is, then they too are part of the problem and hold no esteem for the group or the trade. One person may break rules and that's bad enough. But those that accept the fact that thoes rules are being broken and without objection, are just as bad as the violator. There is nothing so far that has been tested to keep the major perpetrator here, under some control. Lacking full support from everyone who regularly participates in this Newsgroup, it will remain as it is. In my opinion, those who don't have the courage to take a stand, have been, are, and will be the reason this group is not as successful as it could be. It is everyones job to put down disention. Otherwise chaos.

Hmmm, a very politically correct comment. We're ALL quite aware that the Newsgroup is more peacful now than when Bass is here instigating turmoil. Do you find it difficult to make that statement? You see, THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about. Can you think of any other reason that things are a little quiter now? Any other reason ..... at all? So many won't take the stand and thus it continues.

Take the stand. State your opinion and it'll be one more step closer to ending all of the garbage that has gone on here for years and years. It can be done only if all work in unison. Short of that, it will remain the same, if Bass does return.

Reply to
Jim

Subject: Re: ASA re-visited Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Crash Gordon Some will not be able to resist starting up shit when RLB returns...it'll be

If you'll kindly re-read the archives, you will find that it is almost *always* RLB that can't let shit just drop.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yea and of course YOU did nothing wrong eh?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not everyone is prepared to continually turn the other cheek, only to get that slapped as well

Its been a long time, I hope all is well with you.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Some of you might recognize my name from the archives, and even though it's been numerous years since I publicly posted to the group, some of you know that I've still been lurking in the shadows and answering questions by email directly. From my point of view, in order for the group to remain civil, there has always been just one thing that needed to be done by a poster before they hit the send button:

Realize that their customers, competitors, friends and family can see each and every one of their posts for the rest of eternity.

Now, put yourself in your customers, competitors, friends or families shoes and what would you think if you read that posts that have taken place. Although there have been key figures over the years that incited some of the madness, it takes two people in order to have a fight. If you were looking to purchase an alarm system and you read some of the past posts in the group, would you want to do business with yourself ?

What has taken place in the group isn't the responsibility of anyone, it isn't the fault of anyone and no one can control it. It takes everyone to keep the group civil. And if someone takes it upon themselves to attack someone else, whether it be directly or indirectly, it has to be ignored in order to prevent it from breaking down the civility of the group. That means no smart aleck remarks, no antagonistic comments, nothing. Just ignore it and continue on your business.

I wish you all the best in accomplishing this, I'll return to the shadows for now to see how it turns out.

Steve Ryckman

Reply to
Steve Ryckman

Here we go again....(sigh...)

Reply to
Karl Magnus

I just find it interesting that a few think only Bass is at fault

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I agree. It takes two to tango (or tangle, if you will) When confronted with vitriol it is best to be assertive. You may remember when our absent friend tried to start up with me over a joke I made about one of his grammatical glitches. I wouldn't take the bait but stuck to my guns (politely) and he gave it up.

Stick to the facts and the issues but don't resort to personal attacks.

Leave that to all those wise folks in Washington...

Steve Ryckman wrote:

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Subject: Re: ASA re-visited Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Mark Leuck I just find it interesting that a few think only Bass is at fault

No you don't, you're just being you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.