Linksys EG008W and SD2008 differences?

What are the differences between the LinkSys EG008W and SD2008?

The boxes are different, but do the do products exist just because LinkSys was takeover by Cisco, or are there network functionality or other differences.

Both are 8 port 10/100/1000, auto speed sensing, auto crossover.

Does one run quieter than the other? If so, are there any problems with overheating? (I have 3 EG008Ws, which are somewhat noisy due to the fan.) (The User Guides say 18 Watts AC for each, but the EG008W says 2 Amps at 12 V, the SD2008 says 1.5 Amps)

Does one run faster than the other?

Does one remember more addresses or whatever than the other?

Does one support jumbo frames?

Does anyone have these numbers for the SD2008 and EG008W: Frame Filter Rate Frame Forward Rate Network Latency Address Database Size Queue Buffer?

I understand why a manufacturer won't want to give some of the numbers, but Address Database Size and Queue Buffer seem like they should be available.

The numbers would be comparable to those on page 7 of ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/gs108_install_guide.pdf for the Netgear GS108. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING PAST THIS LINE

Reply to
Mark Fineman
Loading thread data ...

Here are some answers to queries I posted on Tuesday, 20 July 2004 17:57:20 GMT.

I bought a couple of the SD2008's and found the following information that was obvious from the web site but which didn't sink in: . an SD2008 is smaller than an EG008W . an SD2008 does not indicate a link is running at 1000

I also found that they each make about the same amount of noise - in other words, both models have fans.

I haven't been able to setup any benchmarks so I can't comment on the performance yet.

No, as mentioned above.

They each run a tad warm.

One additional note: . at least 3 different power supplies have been used with the EG008W. I don't know if you can interchange them. The three types of power supplies I have seem to work with all of the EG008W's that I have, but there may be MTBF differences or performance differences. (I always label the "bricks" I get with an identifying number so I can be sure to use each piece of equipment with the original power supply.)

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING PAST THIS LINE

Reply to
Mark Fineman

bought a couple of SD2008 instead and I can tell you some information

regarding this switch.

- it's noisy with the standard fan, but that can be worked around

- fill-rate is awesome: line-rate to all ports simultaneously, no

matter the packets size. I've managed to reach 17.5 million pps using 6

ports.

- delay is 2.5 microseconds for small packets, increases for larger

packets (sounds logical)

- holds up to 4K MAC addresses

- does NOT support jumbo frames (bummer...)

I've written a short review here:

formatting link
Internally, the main switch asic is a Broadcom 5388 (BCM5388). If you

look up the switch specs from the manufacturer's website, you'll find

more detailed info.

Cheers, Gaetan

Reply to
gsoltesz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.