Firebox as an access point?

I have a Netgear VPN router and want to add a Firebox X10e Edge to the LAN to control web access for some computers on the LAN. Since the Netgear VPN is running fine with other sites, I'd prefer not to replace it with another router. Is it possible to configure the Firebox similar to a wireless access point with no routing? I'd like to keep all IP addresses on the LAN the same to simplify VPN and other issues. The Firebox user guide is rather slim and the examples only cover the more typical WAN/LAN rotuer configuration.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

According to WatchGuard user forom, the Firebox must do NAT and can not be used as an access point.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

In "Drop-In" mode it has the same IP(s) on all jacks, you still have to create traffic rules.

As for "Access Point", it's not a Wireless Access Point.

Are you talking about one of their very low end x5/10/20 series units?

Reply to
Leythos

Yes, the X10e. I already had a Netgear VPN router installed and I was trying to add the X10e to the LAN without messing with the existing router. The LAN is 192.168.0.0/24, and I was trying to add the X10e to the LAN such that devices on the back side of the X10e could be filtered/blocked without changing any LAN addresses (somewhat similar to how a wireless access point works wrt LAN addresses). According to WG, this is not possible, and the X10e must be used as a router with two distict IP ranges on either side of the router.

Since the X10e also supports VPN, I decided to replace the Netgear VPN router with the X10e. Now, I just have to get all the other Netgear VPN sites communicating with the X10e. One is communicating fine; still fiddling with the other two.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.