Using a Linksys router as an access point

Hi, I have two wireless routers. One is connected as normal, but I want to extend my range with the other one (i.e. turn it into an access point). How do I do it (please tell it step by step, as I have noooo idea at this point)? Do I have to set up a static IP address? The product says it is capable of being a wireless access point, but the Linksys website doesn't tell you how to set it up. Some websites say that I have to have the access point plugged into an ethernet cable in order to get the wireless access point...this kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

If you want step by step instructions for what you want to do, first you'll have to say what routers you're working with.

Reply to

Model numbers please? Hardware version also. If WRT54G and alternative firmware, name and version.

I'll assume that "normal" means setup as a DSL or cable modem router.

Easy but I don't think that's what you really want to do. See below.

Oh-oh. I presume that you're trying to setup the 2nd router as a WDS repeater. It's not clear, but I read between the lines that you do NOT wish to run a cable between the two boxes. If your mystery Linksys routers are WRT54G this can be done using WDS. Instructions:

formatting link
If you DO want to run a cable, and don't want to deal with WDS, or your mystery Linksys router is not a WRT54G, then you can setup the

2nd router as an access point by:
  1. Change the IP address of the 2nd router to The idea is to not duplicate the IP address of the first router.
  2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both routers.
  3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
  4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
  5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the cable.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reading between your lines, I deduce that you do want to use a cable to connect the two routers instead of WDS.

When going from an ethernet switch to another ethernet switch, one

*USUALLY* needs a cross-over ethernet cable. Same with going between two computers. However, modern routers and switches all have an extra crossover connector, an MDI/MDI-X switch, or automagic polarity switching. I vaguely recall (not sure) that the WRT54G has automagic polarity sensing and therefore does NOT require a crossover cable.

Yes. The easy way to tell for sure is to just insert an ordinary ethernet CAT5 cable between the LAN ports on both WRT54G boxes. If the front panel light turn on in the normal manner, you win and it will work. If the front panel light stay off, you need a crossover cable or adapter.

Incidentally, I sometime use this trick to test my ethernet cables. One end of the cable goes to the crossover connector on the switch. The other goes to any of the other jacks. If the lights come on, it's wired correctly. Unfortunately, it doesn't check for split pairs and flakey connections, but if I'm too lazy to dig out the cable tester, this test will do.

I would not buy a long crossover cable. I build an adapter using a cheap ($2) RJ45 jack, a short length of CAT5, and an RJ45 plug. The RJ45 jack is wired for normal EIA-568B. The plug gets the creative crossover wiring plan. With this adapter, I can take any ordinary ethernet cable and convert it into a crossover cable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, you say "may need a crossover cable". When and when not do you need a crossover cable for this type setup? Might one not know until inspecting the "front panel light"?

Reply to
DanR Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.