Can I do this??? Assign IP addr from Mac addr

I want to try and have my router recognize the 'mac' address and assign a specific ip address to it. ??

Reply to
MikeG
Loading thread data ...

MikeG is alleged to have said in comp.security.firewalls:

It's called a static DHCP lease. Since you don't specify which router you have, you'll have to check the manual to see if your model supports that feature.

Reply to
Rob Hughes

It's called a RESERVATION - where the DHCP service is configured to provide an IP based on the MAC of the device requesting an address. It's not static, but it's very close. Most routers, home user ones, don't support reservations or any other form of MAC to IP mapping.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks to all who answered, I have two routers, a netgear and a linksys, basic units I guess...but your right, I could not see a way of doing it. I have a RIO box that I am trying to connect to, with hopes of serving music on an intranet. That RIO box needs the same ip address to download from and to address the music server. TX

Reply to
MikeG

Why not just give them fixed IP addresses outside of the DHCP scope?

Reply to
Leythos

Or why not installing a SmoothWall

formatting link
on some old machine. The SW lets you assign fixed IPs in your home network to devices based on their MACs using an easy to use web interface.

JMM

Reply to
John Morten Malerbakken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.