change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

please advise. thanks!!

Reply to
apngss
Loading thread data ...

cross posted to 4 newsgroups. Gosh, this must be terribly important. Rubbing my crystal ball, I deduce that you're using some Linux or Windoze mutation. Of course, all operating system are the same so the following instructions should work no matter what you're using.

Here's an article that covers most of the methods.

formatting link
Linux: /etc/init.d/networking stop ifconfig eth0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:55:66 /etc/init.d/networking start

Windoze:

formatting link
formatting link

Correct. If you're a spammer and want to cover your tracks, this is a way of forcing a change to your dynamically assigned IP address. It will also drive the ISP nuts, trash their log files, and possibly mangle their RADIUS authentication (if the MAC address is used for authentication). If you happen to land on a MAC address that's already in use at the ISP, traffic will stop for both machines. Do this often enough and you should get the ISP's attention and receive your due rewards.

Free advice. Don't do it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

how to change the MAC address then?

Reply to
strutsng

Many IPv6 address contain real 48-bit IEEE addresses, but many others do not. See RFC 2373 or look at some IPV6 DNS RRs. For an example of the latter, consider:

% host -t aaaa dcc.dcc-servers.net dcc.dcc-servers.net has IPv6 address 2001:888:20ee::6277

Vernon Schryver snipped-for-privacy@rhyolite.com

Reply to
Vernon Schryver

It is possible to change the MAC address on most NICs. The IP address, in IPv4, is not related to the MAC address, but in the case of DHCP, assigned to one. In IPv6, the MAC address forms part of the IP address.

Reply to
James Knott

In article , wrote: :Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine?

Of most machines, Yes.

:IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is :based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

It might be, it might not be, it depends on the ISP. Some ISPs know what port number you are using in their equipment and assign the address on that basis.

Some ISPs encrypt traffic to the modem based upon your MAC address, so changing your MAC address might get you nothing.

The ISPs that do use MAC as a factor often register the MAC against the account, and you might have to find the MAC of a valid subscriber to change the IP you get. But ISPs tend to have protections against that.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In article , wrote, leaving out all context [which I have restored]:

|In article I wrote: |>:In article , wrote: |>:Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine?

|>:Of most machines, Yes.

|how to change the MAC address then?

You have cross-posted this to a variety of newsgroups, including

- one for Windows XP (which runs only on systems with the Intel Pentium instruction set, as far as I know)

- one for wireless devices, many of which use specialized CPUs and specialized network cards

- a linux networking newsgroup; linux runs on a quite wide variety of devices; and

- a group devoted to the TCP and UDP protocol suite.

Considering the multitude of hardware devices implied by your choice of newsgroups, one must presume that you are looking for some standard TCP or UDP or ICMP packet that one can send which will trigger the change of MAC address.

No such TCP / UDP / ICMP packet exists.

No POSIX standard socket call exists that would change MAC addresses either.

All facilities to change MAC addresses are specific to the combination of hardware and OS that one has. I thus recommend that you post to a newsgroup specific to your hardware and software, stating the equipment you have, and soliciting information there. Or, better yet, google for the information, as it is readily available for common equipment + software combinations.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto:

Look for SMAC 1.2

Reply to
Attils

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.