Using DHCP but assign a manual address?

My wifi router uses DHCP, but I want to assign one of my windows XP machines a manual IP that remains the same.

In mac os x, to do this I go onto TCP/IP prefs and choose 'DHCP with manual address' enter my IP, subnet mask and gateway address and then I leave the DNS fields blank as my router gets them automatically.

When I try the same thing in XP in TCP/IP properties for my wifi connection, my PC gets the IP alrght but I lose my internet connection and can only get it back if I revert to getting my IP automatically.

Any help please?

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:03:03 +0000, Mark wrote in :

Some routers have a way to define fixed DHCP addresses for particular MAC addresses -- that's the best way. Otherwise, you need to be sure: (1) that your manual IP address is in the correct subnet (2) that the subnet mask is correct (3) that you've manually set the correct DNS server(s) (4) that you've manually set the correct gateway address The best way to do all that is to go back to DHCP assignment; see what the router assigns; then make those settings manually; and configure the router not to hand out that IP address to a DHCP client.

Reply to
John Navas

I checked and mine doesn't, my old Netgear one did but this one don't.

Otherwise, you need to be sure:

both those were correct

this is the part I didn't enter, I think because in Mac OS X there is an option 'DHCP with manual address' where you don't have to enter any DNS servers, aslo my router doesn't have DNS servers defined.

I used servers from OpenDNS and it works, thanks

Reply to
Mark

this seems to be the problem though, if I didn't enter DNS servers i'd lose me internet connection.

Reply to
Mark

On the XP client, set the IP address you want, enter the router address as the gateway, and optionally set the DNS entries. Its best to set this, unless you're sure your router does DNS forwarding.

Yup, same as on XP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:17:50 +0000, Mark wrote in :

That just prevents you from resolving domain name addresses, not connecting to the Internet. IP addresses (e.g.,

64.233.161.99 instead of
formatting link
would probably work.
Reply to
John Navas

Not all routers automatically forward DNS requests. My Dlink 604 doesn't, my SMC 2804 does.

If you set a static IP addy, the DNS requests will default to going to the gateway I think. If your gateway (which is also your router) forwards DNS it will work. Otherwise it won't.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:54:25 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

That's generally done by DNS proxy in the router, and would be configured by DHCP or manually. DNS proxy is almost always optional -- external DNS servers can be directly used instead.

DNS requests will go to whatever is manually configured for DNS server(s). If no configuration is made (manual or by DHCP), then DNS won't work at all.

Pretty much any router should "forward" DNS requests (just as it forwards other Internet traffic). The real issue is whether the router has a DNS proxy or not. If it does, then the router LAN address can be manually configured as the DNS server in all clients; otherwise, the address(es) of external DNS servers needs to be manually configured (which works even if the router has a DNS proxy).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.