How can I configure a static IP from my Linksys router?

Hi,

I'm running a LinkSys wireless router, WRT54GS, firmware v 4.70.6. Someone on this newsgroup said it would be preferrable for me to configure my static IP on my router instead of on the machine directly. I like this idea, but I don't know how to do that with the above router. Is it possible? How is it done?

Thanks, - Dave

Reply to
laredotornado
Loading thread data ...

You friend is this.

Long

Short

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Thanks but it appears from the articles that you must do stuff on the client computers (I'm on a Fedora Core 5 Linux machine and these articles discuss Windows). I was curious if the setup can be done entirely from the router's control panel.

Thanks, - Dave

Reply to
laredotornado

I don't have that router, but on many routers, you can tell the DHCP server to assign an IP to a MAC on a semipermanent basis.

On my DLink its called Static DHCP clients and you select a MAC to link to an IP address.

On my old SMC router, you just set the lease time to infinity, or the largest possible value, which amounted to the same thing.

On my even older USR, it was something similar again.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You can set up the router to use a static IP instead of a DHCP IP that the router would get from the ISP's DHCP server. That would require that you contact the ISP to get the static IP(s) from the ISP to configure the router to use the ISP's static IP(s) instated of the ISP's DHCP IP(s), if the ISP gives those IP(s) out.

You can't configure the router to give out static IP(s) to client machines. The client machines with their NIC's must obtain/use a static IP on the router, just like the NIC's would obtain a DHCP IP from the router's DHCP server.

DHCP IP(s) on the Linksys router normally start at 192.168.1.100 to the DHCP Issue Count. If the count is 10, then 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.110 are DHCP IP(s) that the DHCP server on the router would issue to machines requesting a DHCP IP from the router.

192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.111-192.168.1.255 are the router's static IP(s) not issuable by the router's DHCP server.

To use a static IP on the router, the O/S must configure the NIC to use a static IP on the router.

So, you equate what it's telling you about Windows and you configure the Linux machine's NIC to use a static IP on the router.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

One other thing, the DHCP server on the router assigns the NIC's MAC to the issued IP in the router's DHCP table. Most likely, the machine is going to get the same DHCP IP assigned to it on a small network, which is kind of static, unless you force a new DHCP IP to the machine.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.