Difference between SDM and SDM Express

Hi,

We have just purchased an 878 router and I am updating to latest software, IOS and SDM.

What is the difference between SDM and SDM Express?

When you install SDM it says you can install to Computer, Router or Both. Why would you NOT install SDM on the router? I get what the options mean but why would you choose one over the other?

Thanks

Nathan

Reply to
Sammy
Loading thread data ...

You might not have enough flash to hold the full SDM on the router, while the SDM Express version is pretty basic, theoritically smaller?

On the newest routers that have 128M CF cards, its not so much an issue.

On older routers where that may be 32M?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I don't have a list of differences but, in case its not obvious, SDM Express has far fewer features than SDM and therefore cannot be used to manage anything beyond a fairly simple configuration. For example, IIRC VPN management is not in SDM Express.

Another reason might be that SDM loads faster from a PC than it does from the router. If I load SDM from my router, I get asked for username and password three times. If I load it from a desktop icon I only get asked once. It may be that I've got it set up wrong of course.

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.