Configuring PIX Firewall

Hello,

I'm having to configure a PIX 515e firewall that's on our network, but know very little about networking. A 'show version' results in:

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(4) Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(2)

We have a block of addresses that I would like to share between the DMZ and Internal interfaces, with the PIX inspecting packets on the way.

Here's an example:

We're provided a network segment 1.2.3.128/255.255.255.128 with

1.2.3.129 as the gateway to the rest of the world.

I'd like to divvy up 1.2.3.130-254 between the internal and dmz, but it seems like the best I can do is give 32 addresses to the dmz and 64 to the internal, and then the other 32 are wasted on the outside interface. I don't want to waste those extra addresses, but we want everything behind the firewall.

Surely there's a way to do this? It seems like it should be a very common scenario. The only vaguely workable solution I've found is to do

192.168.x.x networks on inside and dmz and then do static maps between the addresses. But that is a configuration nightmare for us because DNS is completely broken for our machines that need to access other of our machines.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-John Dailey

Reply to
John Dailey
Loading thread data ...

Hi John,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco PIX 515E Firewall Quick Start Guide, Version 6.3 (PDF - 1 MB):

formatting link
Found on Cisco PIX Documentation:

formatting link
Cisco PIX Device Manager Installation Guide, Version 3.0(1)

formatting link
Found on Cisco PIX Device Manager Documentation:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.