Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router

Does anyone have any experience with the Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (model f5D5231-4)? I bought one recently - they're being blown out for $8 after rebate at Microcenter), and I'm trying to figure out if some problems I'm having are due to it. It seems to frequently be losing sync between itself and the cable modem, and the cure is to reboot either the router or the modem or both. My ISP is also having intermittent problems, so I'm trying to figure out which symptoms are due to what.

I would also like to hear any recommendations for other low-cost NAT router/firewall boxes that have good logging features (the Belkin is very lame in this regard.)

Reply to
Nil
Loading thread data ...

Everything I've read in Usenet and DSL Reports indicates that Belkin should be avoided - even if free.

Reply to
Leythos

On 05 Nov 2004, Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

Well, that could explain the price I bought it for, so I'm not surprised. I did look for reviews, but I didn't find many on this unit that went into any detail other then a general thumbs up or down.

Any other brand or model of this ilk that you like?

Reply to
Nil

I like Linksys units for home users, and I like the DI-804HV from D-Link for people that provide PPTP/VPN access to servers inside their private network.

The BEFSX41 and BEFVP41 units from Linksys are nice, but even the lowly BEFSR41 will provide home user level security from uninvited intruders.

Reply to
Leythos

On 05 Nov 2004, Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

Thanks very much, I'll look into these. I just want a simple machine that does it's thing well and reliably.

Reply to
Nil

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.