SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports?

I'm getting (a trial of) Verizon's FIOS fiber-to-the-home product in a couple of weeks, which comes with a special router (no idea what that means). While I can hook my existing infrastructure up to it, my trusty BEFSR41 has a 10BaseT WAN port and my FIOS is supposed to be

15M/2M.

I've found the Linksys/Cisco RV042 for $170 at Amazon, are there other SOHO routers with 10/100 WAN ports I should be looking at? Does anyone know the details of the Verizon FIOS router, and if it's safe to use as a primary router?

There's some mention of how it's part of their infrastructure and can run traffic analysis and other 'spyware' functions, plus they seem to require I run their 'software' suite which appears to include remote-control software and such, and I'd much rather have my own firewall...

Thanks!

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

(snip)

The Linksys WRT54G claims to have a 10/100 WAN port, and is usually available for around $70 or so. You can turn off the wireless part if you don't need that.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Good thought, thanks! I called Verizon's FIOS line to ask some questions, and they tried to tell me they use D-Link 624 routers, but that can't be right, so I guess I'll see what they show up with and have a Linksys on hand...

Thanks!

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

I've got a Netgear FR114P that has 10/100 ports on the WAN side..

I normally prefer to roll my own, using a FreeBSD box of some sort..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.